Chapter Forty-Three: The Locked Door

I sit up in my bed again, it's still the same cold marble. Stiff and uncomfortable. There is ash falling around me. It lands gently on my face and hair and arms. I dust it off but it just smudges under my palms.

I swing my legs off the bed and look around the room. There is no fox not tonight it seems.

"Mr Foxy?"

Silence. I shrug. In the distance I can hear a clanging, banging sound. It's persistent. I follow the noise from outside the bedroom. There is still a huge hole in the ceiling. The moon is still full and bright. As I walk down the stairs the banging becomes louder.

The house shakes around me, the walls tremble. I continue walking down the stairs. Once I've stopped on the last stair the banging stops. I freeze. The silence is almost too loud.

I walk into the foyer and look up at the full moon. Then there is a sure and violent bang. I jump. I turn slowly to face the front door. There is another bang and the shut doors rattle, ash lands heavily on the floor.

I step towards it and there is another bang and rattle. With each step the banging grows louder and harder, the floor vibrates underneath my bare feet. I come to a halt in front of the door. I reach for the handle and my hand trembles and shakes.

"Don't!" A voice calls out. I know that voice.

"Fox?" I demand but I am met with silence followed shortly by the banging and rattling of the front door. My heart is racing. I reach for the handle again, resting it on the cool metal. I lift my hand and knock on the door, softly. Gently.

There is a knock in return. It's louder, more demanding.

"Who's there?"

Silence.

"Who is it?" I call out and my voice is carried in echoes around the walls.

"I am you, woman. Open the door, let me in."

The voice is low and demanding. It shoots prickles across my scalp. I step backwards.

"You are not me."

"I am now. You know that I am. Stop fighting me. Stop hiding from me. Let me out, let me in. Let me take control...you do not know what I know woman. You do not know that the fox is killing you. Let me in now, let me kill the fox."

"I do not know you-"

"-you do. Let me in!"

"Tell me your name then."

Silence.

"My name is Magin."