Chapter Two: Cheese Pizza

Jackson peers down at Naomi as she examines the ground below her. She reaches forward and traces a finger in the snow. Her finger nail eases into a purple-blue. She shivers then glances up at Jackson. Her hair cascades to her right shoulder. She smiles lightly.

Jackson squats down beside her and his eyes fall on the snow. "What are you looking at?"

"The ground I guess. I'm not entirely sure. It's just weird to think about. Before us moving in there were people here growing from this garden living in these rooms..." Naomi straightens and motions at the large house. "What happened to them?"

Jackson looks out across the yard, pensive. The property is large and spans a great distance. The house, mansion, is ridiculous. It is unnecessarily large but Raurlin insisted on it. From the moment he saw it he told Jackson that he had a good feeling about it. Jackson didn't challenge him. His best friend now king. Hybrid king.

"Well I'm not sure if I'm being honest. The place has been abandoned for some time from what I can gather. No real records of the people who once lived here. But I'm confident we will make this our home, Naomi. You have nothing to fear on that front. How are you holding up?"

Jackson ushers Naomi into the kitchen as the workers of the moving company, sponsored by Stellan, are placing boxes down around them. Naomi settles in front of the large kitchen windows. Her eyes flicker over the snow falling.

"Everything is so loud. I can hear it all."

Jackson chuckles. "It's like that at first. The hearing, seeing, smelling. Everything is amplified. It'll settle, give it time. Anything else sticking out?"

"Nothing so far. I just..." Naomi sighs and wipes at her eyes then turns to face Jackson. "I feel like a stranger in my skin. I feel restless."

"Well the new you is someone different from your human self. You're stronger than you could imagine. Faster than you realise. You're raw potential and you are yet to exercise any of that. I think you could benefit from some exercise. I can work on it with you if you'd like?"

Naomi smiles again and it just about reaches her eyes. "I would like that. I'm sure we could fit in a gym in this place."

Jackson tenses slightly. "And the hunger?"

Naomi feels herself stiff and she immediately tells herself to relax. The hunger. The insatiable hunger that causes her to stare at throats longingly. The constant sound of blood rushing through veins almost forcing her to give in. She clears her throat.

"It's manageable."

Before Jackson can inquire further Raurlin walks into the kitchen. His face brightens as his eyes land on Naomi. He makes a beeline for her and engulfs her in a hug. Jackson uses the opportunity to slip out the kitchen. He stands at the door for a moment listening before making his way upstairs.

Sarah is standing in one of the bedrooms. She is leaning against a wall with her arms crossed. There's already a bed in the room and across from the bed are built in wooden cupboards. She is staring at the bed lost in thought. Jackson knocks on the door softly and she jerks then looks up at him.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Sarah rolls her eyes "my thoughts cost a lot more than a penny, vampire."

Jackson strolls into the room and he settles on the bed tapping the mattress beside him. Sarah sits next to him, their arms brushing.

"I thought we moved past that sweetheart. Unless you prefer witch over sweetheart. You've been quiet."

"I know."

There's a moment of silence. Jackson wraps an arm around Sarah pulling her against him. She settles against his side without protest.