Chapter 26

Paige POV:

It's the day of the Xavier game and I'm currently getting my uniform on in the locker room before we go out and play.

"You ready P" E says

"As ready as I'll ever be" I reply

I'm a little nervous playing today because I don't want to hurt my ankle again and plus it's a sold out Gampel so there's going to be a lot of people.

We make our way out of the locker room and on the court. There's a few people here already but not many. Peyton's not here yet but I know she will be soon so she can get a front row seat.

We do our warm up drills and shoot around a little bit and now there's a lot more people in the arena. Almost the entire student section is full and fans are starting to sit down.

I look over at the student section and see Peyton with Tori and Kate. We lock eyes and I smile at her. She knows I normally would go over there and talk to her a little before the game but since there's a lot of people in the arena right now that wouldn't be the best idea.

I know she can tell that I'm nervous because i've been pacing around the court now dribbling the basketball for a few minutes and she mouths to me "are you ok"

I just nod my head and take a few deep breathes trying to get my nerves under control.

Eventually warm ups are over and we make our way back into the locker room and go over the game plan and then make our way back on the court so they can announce our names.

We are a few minutes into the second quarter and we are winning 32-20. Xavier has the ball and misses their shot, I quickly get the rebound and see Christyn up the court so I pass her the ball from half court to her and she makes the layup.

But as I passed her the ball I twisted my ankle. The same ankle I sprained a few games ago vs Tennessee and it really hurts.

Luckily Xavier called a timeout and I limp my way back to the bench and sit down. I put my hands over eyes and just look up bouncing my left leg up and down because my ankle hurts and because I'm mad I hurt it again.

I quickly stand up though and make my way over to the timeout stools we have and sit down.

"Get up your sitting, Nika go in" Geno says

I stand up while Nika sits and I stand behind her listening to what coach is saying.

Once the timeout is over and they go back on the court I make my over to my seat and sit down. My ankle still hurts but not as bad. Janelle then comes over to me.

"Is it the same ankle" she asks

"yea, I just twisted it though I'm fine"

"Are you sure"

"yea" I say as I drink some water

Janelle leaves and sits back down in her seat and Geno comes over to me.

"You sure you're good" he says

"Yea, I mean it hurt in the moment but not as much anymore"

"Alright, sub in for Christyn, and if it starts to hurt again tell me and I'll take you out"

"Ok" I respond getting up and crouching down next to the scorers table to sub in.

The rest of the game went well we won 71-54. My ankle hurts a little bit still but not as bad as before.

Peyton and I made this tradition of after every game she can come to, she stays after, while everyone leaves and I change, and then we walk back to our dorm together.

I make my way over to her now that everyone has left the arena except the workers.

"Hey"

"you played great" she says

"Thanks, I try" I say joking as she laughs

"How's that ankle"

"It's fine"

"Don't lie to me, I can see through you"

"I mean it still hurts a little but not as bad"

"Yea, I could tell when you went back in the game after you twisted it, that you were trying to make it seem like you were fine"

"I mean did it work though?" I question

"To everyone else probably but to me no. I saw you struggling a few times to act like it wasn't hurting when it was"

"You just know me to well"

"What can I say, it's my specialty" she jokes "But, you are putting ice on it when we get back to the dorm"

"Ok" I sigh

We then start walking back to the dorm and I take a few pictures with fans that were waiting outside for me.