28 | like we were

Charly

I didn't like to feel. 

I had told Rowan about stuff I would have rather kept to myself, and it got worse because I realized Tommy and Kyle had been listening, too. They hadn't said anything and that made me feel even worse about opening my damned mouth. 

When would I learn?

I had spotted the bar across the street the moment Tommy parked the car. I knew I needed something to forget I was letting my weaknesses show through my tough exterior. 

I crossed the street with Kyle and Rowan trailing behind me. 

When I entered the bar, I realized it wasn't that big. I figured a little cash under the table would do the trick, and it did. The man standing at the door asked for our ID and I slipped him fifty dollars instead, with a wink. 

I walked up to the bar and took a seat. 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Rowan said, and he disappeared around the end of the bar. 

I smirked at Kyle, as he sat down beside me, and said, "See? I told you I could get in. It's easy." 

"It's illegal," He said. 

I rolled my eyes, "Oh, sure. We're both law-abiding citizens, right?" 

Kyle flagged down the bartender and ordered a round of shots. When the tiny glasses arrived at the bar in front of us, I frowned at Kyle. 

"Drinking is not in your best interest right now," I told him bluntly. "You need water, that's why we came here."

Kyle turned to me, a smirk on his lips. It was the first time I had seen him look playful, and not just hate burning into my skin. It was... nice.

He tipped his head back and downed the shot, then he picked up the glass of water, and said, "See? Water. I'm fine." He took a few gulps for emphasis. 

"Sure. If you get shitfaced, I'm just gonna leave you." I drank some water from my own glass, and let my eyes scan the room. 

"You can't tell me you came here just to babysit me," Kyle rolled his eyes, shoving a shot glass in front of me, "Come on, loosen up." 

He wasn't wrong. I had come here hoping for a little buzz. I sighed, "Alright, you're on." 

By the time Rowan came back from the restroom, we were tipsy. I hadn't even realized until I almost tipped out of my chair. Kyle grabbed my arm to keep me upright and then he set a glass of water in front of me. 

How the hell were we getting along? And subtly taking care of each other? 

I didn't know, and I didn't care. 

I was enjoying it. 

Somehow, my attention landed on the television across the bar, and I froze. 

I was suddenly sober when I realized my face was on the screen. 

There was no volume on the television so my eyes fell to the breaking news banner that scrolled across the bottom of the screen. My heart started pounding the more I read. 

Two teens are wanted by the police. 

A picture of a younger me was displayed next to Rowan's. 

Rowan Hayes is suspected to have burned down his high school late Monday night and fled officers in pursuit. His whereabouts are unknown but he was last seen on Sixth Street. If anyone has any details, please contact your local police.