3 | take me back

Kyle 

I wanted to kill myself for being sober. 

Just something about it drove me absolutely insane. 

I didn't want to think about anything. Nothing at all. I just wanted to spend a few minutes having fun and that's why I hadn't stopped taking shots since I arrived at this party. I had heard about it at school and I'd never miss a moment to get happy. Especially since I lost count of my drinks. 

Teenagers danced all around me and I copied their movements, going with the flow of the environment around me. The music was so loud, I could feel it reverberating in my chest, or maybe that was just me laughing uncontrollably. I truly tended to lose it when I passed my limit. 

That's why I didn't notice someone scream from the balcony above. 

"Cops!" 

I had no idea what was going on. 

I blinked and the next thing I comprehended was the fact that people were running. Away from me. I think someone was shouting but my head felt stuffed full of cotton and I couldn't understand them. I definitely drank too much.

I shook my head, there was a lot of blurred motion around me, and then I was stumbling as someone started dragging me along by my forearm. I dropped the shot I had been holding and definitely didn't need to take. 

"T-tommy," I slurred, "Where did you come from?" I accidentally tripped over something that wasn't even there.

"Fuck, man," Tommy tried to haul me up, his eyes frantically bouncing around as he was aware of something that I wasn't, "You have to get yourself together and get the fuck out, the cops are here. You'll get busted." 

"Cops?" I repeated slowly and then hiccuped. 

"Jesus christ." 

I felt like throwing up. 

Somehow, we ended up outside. I had no recollection of that. Well, besides I might have retched in a bush. Tommy was relentless on my arm, tugging me to keep moving, and I did my best to follow him but I really just wanted to lie down. My head hurt. 

Flashing lights blinded me and I groaned, "Tommy, what the fuck." 

"Shh," His hand slapped over my mouth before he made a disgusted noise and released me. "The cops are inside, we gotta make a run for it across the street. Can you run, you fucking idiot?" 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good." 

I definitely wasn't. 

I tripped over the curb and if there weren't enough stars in my vision, I was seeing a fucking galaxy from cracking my head off the pavement. I really had no idea what was going on and my brain didn't care to let me know because I had drowned it in alcohol. 

I didn't know how long I laid there, disorientated like a dead body, until someone was rolling me over. I thought it was Tommy, coming back to save my ass once again. I was confused when the face that swam in my vision was definitely a lot older than Tommy. I saw a glint across a... badge. 

An officer. 

I blinked, trying to comprehend something. Why the fuck did I have to do this to myself? I should have stopped drinking a long time ago but who was I kidding, I was drunk before I even made it to the party. 

It was Officer Layden and his partner, Officer Glauser. Their shadows loomed over me. I often evaded them on the streets, and they knew it. I bet they were really happy right now. They'd drag me back to the station and then they would call my Dad. I didn't know which was worse.