Chapter Five

Beau Carpenter was attractive

He'd been on her mind since she left the grocery store. And that was almost five hours ago.

She wasn't surprised that he hadn't left her thoughts. He was intentional, and she liked that in a man.

And she liked his hat. It made him spicy.

Cowboy hats were typical in Texas, but she'd never seen a man wear them like Beau.

The man was charming. A little mysterious. And a whole lot of handsome.

She never expected to like being called Miss Honeydew, but the way Beau said it was like music to her ears.

His approach wasn't brash or irritating. He was calculated but subtle.

It was all smooth. The accent, dialect, and those eyes.

And it all worked for him. Even the slight staring problem he had. She liked it all so far.

Being appreciated respectfully was nice.

Honeydew walked to the backdoor and opened it. Baby was outside exploring, but she had to get him inside and cozy before she left for the football game.

"Baby! Come back inside! I'll give you a treat!" She knew that Baby would stop whatever he was doing for a treat.

Baby stopped his hunt and ran to the backdoor.

He walked inside the house and nudged her with his nose.

"You know I don't like that feeling," Honeydew muttered to her dog.

Baby only nudged her again and ran down the hall.

Honeydew huffed and walked to the kitchen, and grabbed Baby's treat.

"I have to go now, but I'll be back before 12." She kneeled and kissed Baby's head.

He raised his head and snatched the treat from her hand, and ran to the back.

Honeydew would've chased him on a regular day, but she wanted to be at the game a little early, so she just left Baby alone.

Tomorrow she'd have ample time to make Baby pay for his actions.

-

She looked around the football arena, and a shiver ran down her spine.

Getting into the parking lot was more complicated than checking out on Black Friday.

She didn't understand why so many people were outside their house on a Friday night in such cold weather.

She hoped and prayed that she would soon find out why. Because sitting in the cold wasn't worth it for something to bore her.

"Hey, Honeydew! It's a surprise to see you here," Michaela tapped Honeydew's shoulder and smiled.

Honeydew tightened her grip on her blanket and smiled back. It was terribly freezing.