Chapter 5

Eros Pov:

  I take her through the back way that Dr. H once showed me. I start to carry Aurora up to Diana's room. I forgot my phone in my haste to get her to the hospital and can't text Dr. H for help but, my brother can.

  I take her up the fire escape stairs. Other wolves wouldn't care but, this is a coed hospital. I can't have any humans questioning what it is I'm doing. Most humans would probably take issue with finding out I kidnapped the girl in my arms.

  Luckily, Aurora has been pretty quiet all the way here. She hasn't tried to run once since I took the glass from her. I was stupid to turn my back on her as I did. It's my fault she's now hurt. I'll have to get plastic cups and keep here away from the kitchen from now on.

  I exit the fire escape and walk down the hall to Diana's room. The smell of lilacs gets stronger with every step. I don't know how Apex stands the smell every single day.

  I manage to get the door open to see my brother asleep by her bed. I guess I don't remember him coming home last night. Dr. H must have pulled some strings to let him stay.

  I deicide against waking him and instead push the call button for a nurse. A nurse assigned to this room will most likely be a wolf.

  I push the light and sit in the chair opposite Apex's. Aurora surprisingly remains quiet in my lap and only fidgets with the towel.

  I should have better covered her wounds. I should have cleaned her cuts. I just freaked out when I saw the blood and could only think to bring her here.

  I hear a knock at the door, Apex must hear it too as he shoots up. The nurse I called comes through the door with a courteous smile.

  "How can I help you?", she asks.

  "Could you get Dr. H for me?", I ask, "and prepare an examination room".

  She nods at my request, "yes, sir". The door gives a quiet click behind her as she leaves the room.

  "What's going on?", Apex yawns. He eyes me and the girl in my arms, still half asleep.

  "This is Aurora", I tell him. A sense of pride surges through me at being able to introduce my mate.

  "And why did you bring Aurora into my mate's hospital room?", He questions. He's fully awake now and sitting up to display his full height. I can sense his implied threat and even if he doesn't know who she is I still don't like the disrespect he's showing her. I straighten up ready to defend her if need be.

  "Hey, look", Aurora speaks up, "I don't do nonconsent shit even if the bitch is unconscious. If we're doing this she can't be here". With how quiet she was being I'd almost forgotten the way she is.

  A knock comes again and the door opens revealing Dr. H. She smiles at us seemingly oblivious to all the tension.

  "Hi, I heard you needed me for an exam", she says. I stand walking over to her.

  "Yes", I tell her, "my mate needs stitches and a physical".

  "Oh, congratulations", she says, "if you put her down I'll take her right down the hall".I put Aurora down and Dr. H wraps an arm around her shoulder.

  "She's not happy to be here so I'd appreciate it if you didn't let her leave", I tell her. Her smile drops for a look of concern.

  "Okay I'll keep that in mind", she says, "while I am at it I'll send in a nurse to take care of your face". I'd completely forgotten about myself. I lift a finger to touch the now dried blood staining my cheek.

  "Thank you", I say. She nods and leads my mate out of the room. Immediately my nerves go on high alert thinking of all the things that could happen while she's not in my sight.

  "Please, tell me you did not kidnap your mate", Apex says. I look over to my now exasperated brother.

  "I didn't have much choice", I tell him.

  "You always have a choice!", He should, "have you learned nothing from my mistakes?".

  "She's a prostitute, what was I meant to do?", I ask. He sighs and grabs his mate's hand.

  "Well I guess that explains the interesting offer", he says crinkling his nose at the thought.

  "So", he starts, "what happened with your face?".

  "She attacked me with some broken glass", I say.

  He chuckle at my answer, "feisty one, they would have been friends". I look down at the sleeping Diana. She looks even smaller than the last time I saw her. I'm sure almost all of her muscle has atrophied away by now.

  "How's she doing?", I ask.

  "The doctors say there seems to be an increase in brain activity", he says, "they're hopeful she'll wake up soon". He says that every time I ask.

  "And, how are you doing", I ask.

  "I'm doing well enough", he says.

  "I know you haven't been taking care of yourself", I tell him. He looks like shit. He hasn't shaved in ages, he's lost weight, and bags have formed under his eyes.

  "I'm still going to therapy", he says.

  "But, that's all you're doing", I say, "when was the last time you showered or had a proper night's rest?".

  "I could ask you the same", he says, "you're taking on too much".

  "I'm doing what I have to do", I say.

  "But, you don't have to".

  "You could hire a nurse for grandma", he says, "you could make someone a Beta".

  "And, you can come home for dinner and sleep in your bed", I respond.

  "The difference between us is I deserve to be miserable for what I've done. I put my mate in this bed and I'll be by her side until the day she tells me to leave her", he says, "you are a good kid, take care of yourself".

  "I doubt she would want to see you like this".

  "We'll find out when she wakes up", he says, "in the meantime make nice with your mate".