Surprise

"Do you still have the blindfold secured?" said Knight.

I had been bundled into the passenger seat of the car this morning by Liv, Knight and Austin with a silk sleep mask covering my eyeballs and no idea where we were headed. It had made me come to the startling realization that I hated surprises. This would likely change the moment that the surprise was revealed, but the anticipation that steadily built within me was practically torture.

"Yes, it's secured. You know, I had a phobia of cars for a while, since I was practically crushed to death in one. And I trust you, like, 1%. You're a terrible driver."

"Sweetheart, I'm practically Lewis Hamilton," said Knight, as he sped around a corner in a manner that felt a little reckless and a lot terrifying.

"Can you try for more... elderly and cautious?"

"That is against my life philosophy, Elly Belly," he said. But he still slowed down. He didn't say anything about it, but I still smiled to myself.

And I was totally right about the nickname. He had been using it pretty consistently since last night, when Liv had revealed the top-secret information. God, I hoped no one told Alex and Jonah. I would never escape their teasing, despite the nickname not being particularly funny or embarrassing. The boys lacked the imagination to come up with anything better, though.

"We've been driving for, like, an hour. Surely we're almost there?" I complained.

"You're so whiny," said Knight. "I'm starting to understand why Jace didn't like you for so long. Still don't know what you were on about hating him."

I adjusted my mask slightly, ensuring it didn't slip down my nose. "Uh, he was the worst."

"Hm. Charming, good looking, personality of a friendly golden retriever with a great sense of humour... no, you're right. Practically the devil."

I crossed my arms, but I couldn't see Knight's face to know if he saw me. "He wasn't this nice before. He threw a hot chip in my hair."

"I've heard that that is Satan's torture preference," said Knight. "How will we ever contain his pure evil? The lengths he will go to are boundless! Throwing chips, my god, this man doesn't have a soul. You're lucky to have survived."

"Your point has been made," I said crossly. "You can stop now."

"But I'm having so much fun."

"Who's whining now?"

"Hopefully not you, because we're here."

The only information Knight had told me is that he would be leaving the whatever this rendezvous was early; something about a meet up with a lawyer. With such limited information, I certainly wasn't prepared when Knight pulled the blindfold from my eyes to reveal a stunning beach house overlooking the bay at Phillip Island; my favourite holiday spot, where our nanny had accompanied my siblings and my cousins for lazy afternoons when we were little.

The house was big—double story, with balconies and a large yard—and the chillier weather didn't matter, because I could see Cady and Alex chatting on one of the balconies, and I realized that Knight had invited all of my friends for a spring getaway.

I turned to face Knight, my eyes sparkling. "Oh, Knight, thank you!"

Knight was grinning, clearly pleased to see my complete and utter joy. "I'm, uh, glad you like it." His smile was shy. "I couldn't afford to get you a proper present, you know. So, I organized this trip away—with a little bit of help, of course—and all the others have helped to put in. The whole gang is staying here with you for the next two nights."