Isn't This Your Wedding?

"Lena, hey!" Elena said when I walked into the bridal room.

Elena and Jack were getting married in the large barn on their property; which was truly a feat to convert into a wedding venue, given the last time I'd seen the space, it had been covered in horse shit. A tent had been erected next to the big double doors at the back of the barn for Elena to get ready in.

I'd sent Jace to go find Daria and Jonah within the barn. This was beneficial twofold. Firstly, it left me to focus on my bridesmaid duties. Secondly, it meant I didn't have to face Daria and Jonah and their knowledge that I'd hooked up with Jace. Yeah, I was all about avoidance strategies of coping. Because I didn't like handling stress in my life.

Most of the other bridesmaids were already in attendance. Holly, who was Elena's soon-to-be sister-in-law, was the Maid of Honour, and the fifteen year old was fluffing her hair and fixing her make up. Elena's friend—and Julian's best friend—Celeste was rifling through boxes and hampers looking for, it seemed, the second shoe, and Liv was sitting in the corner with Elena drinking cocktails.

"You know you're late," Elena reminded me, tapping at her invisible watch. But she was grinning. Knight was right about her complete and utter chill.

She still looked stunning. Her wedding dress was a stunning lace number with long sleeves and a slight train, and her hair was a fountain of waves that made her look like a mermaid. Jack was going to absolutely shit himself when he saw her walking down the aisle.

"She was probably making out with Jace," Liv said, grinning.

She'd obviously been there when the truth of my kiss with Hartley had been exposed, but apparently Austin had totally already told her anyway and made her promise to keep it a secret. It hadn't saved me from her relentless teasing.

"Jace Hartley?" asked Elena. "Did you want to hang his balls from our Christmas tree last year?"

I seethed at Liv, who just smiled cheekily back. "We live and we learn," I said breezily. "He's okay, I guess."

"And I always decide that by playing tongue tennis," said Elena.

I groaned. "Isn't this your wedding? Shouldn't we be focussing on you?"

"Oh, you're so right," said Elena, gliding a hand over her wedding dress. "Give me attention, or I'll fade away like Tinkerbell."

Holly rushed over to sit at Elena's side.

"I can't believe you're getting married today," said Celeste, running over with the located shoe. "I'm so thrilled for you guys."

Elena grinned. "It's crazy. But I'm so ready. I can't wait to be married to Mr Jack Montez."

"He's taking your name?" I said.

She shrugged. "We're still in discussion."

Elena's mother popped her head around the door. Aunt Camille looked stunning, her mother-of-the-bride dress a floral couture gown. As she gazed at her daughter—despite Elena's man-spreading, the cocktail in her hand and the lack of shoes or common decorum—there was a glassy sheen to her eyes.

I wondered for a moment if my mother would ever look at me like that. Clad in white, my hair in curls and my heart on my sleeve, ready to be bound with another's. It was a far off fantasy, so out of reach, so beyond what I wanted or thought about at my tender age. But, like everyone has done, I imagined it. Imagined the kind of guy I'd want to stand at the end.

Elena had chosen well. Jack was thoughtful, funny, kind; the kind of guy everyone loved. Popular in the kind of way where he was talented and sweet and endearing, and he wasn't just beloved by other popular kids, but by the quiet kids and grandmothers and blokey blokes. And, most importantly, he made Elena's eyes shine with unreserved joy every time she looked at him, and his face broke into an immediate smile every damn time. The guy at the end of my aisle was a blurry silhouette of a man I probably hadn't even met yet, but I knew I'd want him to be a little bit like that.