A Day, A Week. 17

ALEXANDER.

It doesn't feel like a mistake.

It should...but it doesn't. And I don't understand why. Why did it feel so right to do that? To kiss her in front of the entire kingdom...and the visitors.

Why doesn't it feel like a mistake?

And if it felt so right...why hasn't she said anything?

I turn to Melissa and she has her gaze fixed outside the window of the carriage as we head back to the castle, silent as ever as she toys with her fingers, which is completely unlike her. A normal Melissa wouldn't stop talking about what a success the fair was, but she's just...quiet, and it's making me question everything.

I didn't plan to kiss her, I didn't even think of it or consider it before today.

But then she had descended the stairs earlier today, looking absolutely beautiful and elegant, filling my mind with memories from when we'd attended the ball at Greenland...and just like that I couldn't stop thinking about her all day. And when she had held my hand and told me to win for the people, it felt like I could move mountains if she simply said I could. It wasn't just about taking down the knight whom I knew I could, it was her confidence in the way she knew I'd win without a doubt.

I said I would win for the people but I knew I was winning for her.

So I did.

And that look of admiration and pride on her face when she stood up did the trick. The memories turned to an urge and that urge developed to a feeling that I couldn't hold back anymore. So I took my chance the moment I had it and kissed her...and it was perfect.

Having her in my arms in such an intimate way was nothing like I ever imagined, and it took my breath away...the way she had succumbed, allowing me to kiss her deeply, to show her what I was feeling without holding back.

Except, now I look at Melissa and how quiet she is and I can't help but think maybe it was just an urge after all.

It wasn't a feeling... it wasn't mutual...

She was beyond surprised when the kiss was over and so was I.

Still... it doesn't feel like a mistake.

"Was it for the people?"

Her voice comes out so small, I'm barely sure she said something until I turn to her and she's looking directly at me.

"What?"

"When you kissed me, was it for the people to see?" she asks, hardly maintaining eye contact with me and I take a deep breath. I want to tell her 'No, of course not. It wasn't for the people...'

But I don't think she'll believe me, and it kills me because I know I didn't even think of the people when I did it. Hell, I wasn't even thinking at all.

"Melissa..."

"Because I keep replaying it in my head and it almost feels like you did it because you wanted to, but it was a public event and everyone saw and the visitors were there...so maybe it was just damage control." She says and I turn to her completely, observing her expression.

"Damage control?" I repeat and she just shrugs.

Is that how awful I was to her?

That a kiss like that would automatically interpret to damage control?

"I..." she sighs and looks at me, "I just want to know so I'll figure out how to feel about it." She says and I can't help my next question,

"How do you feel about it now?" I ask, shifting close to her and her curious eyes remain on mine as she takes in a deep, shuddering breath through parted lips.