Unexpected Visit

Three Years Later:

Sophie

I walked towards the cafe I work for a few hours after class. I was too tired to work today. It's getting harder every day to even get out of bed.

I have no energy. My days are crazy. I can't sleep at night, yet I want nothing to do but sleep during the day. My budget scares me. I don't even know how I am doing this? Dad keeps sending me money, though I refuse to touch it unless I have no other option.

I dropped most of my classes for now. I can't focus- it's as if my mind gets clouded. I feel like a damn airhead. I had to go see a doctor, and she gave me so many vitamins because she says I am underweight and need to nourish my body. The vitamins taste so gross. I especially hate the iron pills.

But if I don't take them, I will never get rid of my anemia. It will be bad for me if that happens.

"Hey, darling. You look so gorgeous today. Look at you glowing like the diva you are!" Mrs. Clark says as I walk inside. She's an elder lady that owns the coffee house I work in.

Her husband passed away years ago, leaving her the coffee house. She has one son that works as a producer in a theater near Hollywood. He's super nice and helps me out a lot, he's very good-looking too. He modeled for a few years when he was still in high school. She also has a daughter who attends college with me. She loves to travel though, so she took off this semester to travel around Tokyo.

"Hi, Mrs. Clark. Sorry, I'm late. I got stuck after class. I don't know what's happening to me. It's like my mind can't concentrate. I feel so lost most of the time. College classes are not like high school, they are so much harder."

"Sweetheart, you are doing just fine. You have your hands full. Where's Nathan today? I thought you'd come with him?" Nathan is the love of my life. He's got the most beautiful green-hazel eyes, with curly light brown hair and deep dimples.

He makes me smile and forget all my worries when I'm with him.

"No. Not today. He distracts me too much. I can't help but glance over where he is every other minute and smack my lips on him every chance I get." She giggles at my expression. She knows I adore him. He's my world after all.

"You are so cute, honey. Now, I need to go to the bank and make the weekly deposit for the coffee shop. Do you think you and Miley can handle the shop while I get back?" She asks as I take my apron and tie it around my waist.

"You go on and do your thing, Mrs. Clark. Miley and I will handle things here until you get back."

"Thanks, sweetheart. I know you can handle it. Miley?" She calls our youngest member over, making her rush towards us.

"Yes, ma'am." She says as she stands before us with a cleaning cloth in her hand.

"Sweety, I need to go out for a bit. Listen to Sophie, and don't leave without your parents picking you up. Ok?" Mrs. Clark is very protective. Her mother's instincts get the best of her at times.

She always has to be sure that Miley has a ride from her parents or older sister. She's only sixteen, after all, so Mrs. Clark wants to make sure she gets home safe.

"Ok, ma'am. I'll call my sister and let her know I get out in two hours."

"Good girl. I'll be back sweetheart." She says looking between Miley and me.

She grabs her purse, the bag for the bank, and her keys.

It doesn't take long for the coffee house to start filling with people. It always gets crazy packed in here in the evenings with students coming to study.