Chapter 45: Crescent

Do you want me groveling and soberA brilliant wreckageOr three sheets to the windThree pages of youBut I've misplaced the truth?

A brilliant wreckage
Or three sheets to the wind
Three pages of you
But I've misplaced the truth?

SAGE POV

I was in my room and my parents lend Crescent the room opposite of theirs. I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop mourning uncle Gabriel.

I heard a soft knock on the door and a soft voice on the other end "Sage, you up?" I looked at the clock as it was already two in the morning and I wasn't in the mood for talking. But I sighed "Yeah." The door pushed open and in came Crescent looking adorable as ever in my mom's sushi pajamas, a matching set. I couldn't stop the smile from creeping my lips but I don't say anything.

Crescent was more on the adorable chubby side. She had chubby cheeks with a pink blush that stayed on there 24/7, green eyes, and a small button nose. Thick brown hair that reached to her shoulders, straight too. She was around 27-29 years old but you wouldn't be able to tell if she never tells you. She looks hardly seventeen and short too, reaches till my chest and yet more strength to carry me to her car.

She walks towards me and puts her hand against my forehead. I grab her wrist and said "I'm fine. This is the third time you've checked my fever. You've done more than enough for me. I don't know how can I thank you for saving my life while I was barely hanging to it." She smiles and the blush on her cheeks just grows. I say again "I'm sorry that you're caught up in this too now. I know you were scared when Brian showed up in my room this morning." Her smile drops and she looks down, playing with her hands "Is Gabriel really gone?" I watch as her eyes turn glossy but I can't lie to her "Yes." A tear slips down her cheek as she sniffs. I remove my blanket and pat my hand on the mattress so she could sit beside me. She sits down on the corner of my bed with her legs against her chest, hugging them. As she was sitting closer, I notice a light black dot right under the corner of her right eye.

She says defeated "Sage, what is going on? Why is that man after you? Did you do something bad? Are you involved in something?" I shake my head "No, Crescent, I- it's a long story."

"Well, I'm here for two days and I don't think you're gonna sleep anytime soon even with those prescribed pain killers." She nudges her head on my side table and she was right. Even they made me feel a little buzzed, I couldn't sleep.

I began telling her everything. About the day we moved in, about things I started seeing, Caden and Blue, how I found about uncle Gabriel, how we thought the sheriff was a good guy, troubles we set ourselves in, things I can do, and the amount of hurt they can cause me, every single detail. Even about Jenna.

"And here we are. That is what going on in our lives. I can't tell my parents because I don't want them to be in any kind of danger." I finally let out a sigh as I felt invisible weights that just kept pressing on my shoulders. Her expressions were mostly shocked and such. She said, "I- I knew that Gabriel had some sort of gift but I never knew that they would be to this extent." I pressed my lip in a thin line "He calls it a curse, used to call it a curse." She nods and I ask "Can you tell me how you guys met? Uncle Gabriel and you? I feel like I need to talk to someone that knows him a lot then I do. A bit about yourself too. I know he must've seen something in you because he liked you a lot."