Introduction

Sorry about the change in format about halfway through. My keyboard died at work and I typed on my phone.

Kiara's POV

    "Why are you here?" I asked setting a glass of water on the table.
    "I told you," Her voice was shaky and weak."I want to try again. I know I made a mistake. I'm sorry, please give me another chance." She reached her hand out and put it on mine. I pulled my hands away and tucked them between my legs.
    "Shane you broke my trust. You did something that I can't just forgive that easily without more time. I'm just-"
    "Mommy?" A muffled voice came through the speaker on the monitor sitting on the table.
    "Shit," I sighed and got up from my chair. "I'll be right back." When I got to her room Nyko was looking at me through the bars on her crib. "Hi, baby. Why are you awake?" I bent over the rail and picked up her paci from the bed to put it in her mouth.
    "I miss Mommy." She whined and rubbed her eyes.
    "I know baby, I know." I gently rubbed her cheek with my thumb. "Go back to sleep sweetie. Mommy's right outside alright?" She gave me large puppy eyes. I raised my eyebrows and tapped her paci. "Close your eyes." She hesitated then slowly nodded then put her head back down on her pillow and closed her eyes.
    I sighed as I shut the door behind me and walked back out to the living room not ready for the conversation I was about to have. I stopped when I saw Shane holding the monitor.
    "What's her name?" she asked quietly.
    "Nyko." I emailed and sat back down.
    "That's a pretty name. How old is she?"
    "18. Look Shane, I don't know why you want to try again. I'm not sure if I can handle the heart break again. Nyko definitely would not be able to handle it. I don't know Shane."
    "Kiara, please. I know I screwed up but please."
    "Give me four reasons I should try again." I crossed my arms and leaned back in my chair.
    "I know I messed up and I'm willing to try again if you are. I want to make myself better for you. With you. I want to create a life with you. We all make mistakes and I know this is a big mistake that's hard to overcome. I know I haven't met her yet but Nyko would love having another Mommy. Think about how happy she would be. Please, we can work this out." Her hazel eyes stared into mine.
    "Fine." Nyko started saying my name again and I knew she wasn't going back to sleep. "I need to get her up but we will talk about this later.
    "Thank you." She got up and smiled slightly.
    "I'm willing to give you another chance but you have to do better." I looked behind me and she was nodding her head.
    "Mommy!" Nyko yelled as I opened the door. She was standing in her crib.
    "Nyko! You should know better." I picked her up and carried her out to the living room.
    "Mommy who dat?" She pointed to Shane.
    "I'm Shane." She waved her hand at Nyko and smiled.
    "How about we get a snack sweetie?" Nyko beamed up at me and nodded her head. "How's applesauce sound?"
    "Dat's ucky mommy. I no like dat." She scrunched her nose and skipped to the kitchen.
    "I don't like that either Nyko." Shane sat down at the kitchen table and watched as Nyko and I looked through the fridge.
    "Mommy! I wan dat!" Nyko shrieked in my ear and pointed at the pudding.
    "Okay baby. Don't yell like that please. That hurt Mommy's ears."
    "I sowwy Mommy." Nyko climbed on her chair to the table and sat on her feet.
    "Bottom on the chair." Shane and I both looked at each other after saying it at the same time. Nyko giggled and fidgeted in her chair.
    "Sorry." Shane rubbed the back of her head.
    "Mama?" Nyko looked at Shane and picked up her spoon.
    "Sweetie? Are you talking to me?" I asked putting her pudding down in front of her.
    "No, Mama." She spooned the pudding in her mouth quickly.
    "Woah, slow down baby." I put my hand in front of her to stop her form eating her pudding.
    "We go to park?" Nyko looked at Shane and Shane looked up at me.
    "I- I guess I can take you to the park." I rubbed Nyko's back.
    "No, I wan Mama take me."
    "Who's Mama?" I asked sitting down beside Nyko and watched her eat her pudding. Nyko pointed to Shane.
    "Nyko, I'm not-"
    "Shane." She looked over and me and I shook my head.
    "I can take you to the park, Honey." Shane smiled at Nyko.
    By time we got Nyko all loaded in Shane's SUV it was already 3 o'clock. Nyko was asleep wishing the first three minutes of Shane driving.
"We need to talk." I said quietly. "There need to be rules."
"I know."
"You can't just go out with other people without telling me and expect me to not be worried. I understand that you didn't think anything was going to happen. But you still went out with someone who was in love with you. She tried to..." I immediately got quiet. "You didn't pull away Shane." When I looked up at her she was clenching her jaw and staring at the road. "I know you knew she liked you and you didn't tell me. That's the entire problem. The fact that you didn't-"
    "I know I didn't tell you. And I should have. But Kiara," she glanced at me for a split second before putting her hand on my thigh and looking back up at the road. "I didn't like her the same way she liked me. I liked her as a friend and she knew that. She knew I was in a serious commuted relationship with someone else."
    "I had to hear about it through my boss."
    "It was a meaningless kiss Kiara. It didn't mean anything to me. I didn't pull away because I didn't know what to do. I had never been put in a situation like that before and I didn't know how to react."
    "You still should have told me." I rubbed my forehead and stared out the window for the rest of the ride.
    When we got to the park Shane was trying to find something in her glove box which I wasn't sure what it was. She finally found it and pulled it out. It was a bottle of sunscreen.
    "Alright who's ready to go to the park?" We both looked at Nyko who was sitting in her booster seat trying to unbuckle herself. When she realized we were watching her she pulled her hands away from the buckle. I realize it wasn't ideal for a 18 year old to be sitting in a booster seat but when she's in little space it's better to have to protection than not.
    "I wan go pay." I got Nyko out of the car and as soon as I set her down she started running. Shane grabbed her arm and looked over at me.
    "Nyko Miller!" I yelled and picked her back up. "You can not do that. Look, there are cars everywhere and you could get hurt." I pointed around the parking lot.
    "I jus so es'cited." She frowned at the pavement.
    "We know baby," Shane bent down in front of her and squirted a glob of sunscreen on her hand. "But we want you to be safe." She rubbed it on Nyko's nose and cheeks and proceeded to walk her over to the playground.
    "Go have fun, Honey." Shane watched for a few seconds to make sure she was okay with a couple other kids before coming and sitting down on the bench with me.
     "I need to tell you something that happened earlier today."