43

"It's a trick!" Clint laughed, gesturing to Mjölnir, Thor's hammer.

"Oh, no," Thor smiled, shaking his head. "It's much more than that."

Clint lowered his voice to a dramatic pitch, imitating Thor, almost, "oh, 'whosoever, be he worthy, shall haveth the power!" He and the rest of the team laughed. "Whatever, man! It's a trick!"

Thor leaned back in his chair, "well, please, be my guest."

"Really?" Clint stood up.

"Yeah!"

"Oh, this will be hilarious," Percy grinned at Thor, raising his eyebrows.

"Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up," Tony joked.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" He took hold of the hammer, struggling to even move it. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get it off the table in front of everyone. He burst into nervous laughter, looking at Thor and shaking his head. "I still don't know how you do it!"

"Smell the silent judgement?" Tony asked.

"Please, Stark. By all means," he gestured to the hammer. Tony stood up, smirking.

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge," he said. Most of the team made small comments as he stood and walked to the hammer. "It's physics."

He grasped the hammer, getting ready to pull. "Right, so, if I lift it, then I rule Asgard?"

Thor nodded in confirmation, and Tony smiled.

"I will be re-instituting Prima Nocta," he said, beginning to pull but failing. He sighed. "I'll be right back."

He came back a few minutes later, his hand covered in armour. Still, he failed and got Rhodey up to help him, too.

"Are you even pulling?" Rhodey asked.

"Are you on my team?" Tony retorted.

"Just represent! Pull!"

"Alright, let's go!"

Of course, everyone proved to be unworthy of lifting Mjölnir. Both Steve and Bruce tried but were unsuccessful. Percy could have sworn, however, he had seen the hammer shift when Steve had taken hold of it, but he decided not to comment.

"Widow?" Bruce looked at Natasha. "Percy?"

"Oh, no, no," Natasha took a sip of her drink and shook her head. "That's not a question I need answered."

"I'm with Nat on this one," Percy agreed.

"All deference to the man who wouldn't be king, but it's rigged," Tony shrugged.

"You bet your ass," Clint said.

Maria gasped, pointed at Clint and looked at Steve. "Steve! He said a bad language word!"

Steve, meanwhile, sighed and looked between Percy and Tony, who were both hardly able to contain their laughter. "Did you tell everyone about that?"

"The handle's imprinted, right? Like a security code," Tony said to Thor. "'Whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprints' is, I think, the literal translation?"

"Yes, well, that's a very interesting theory," Thor nodded, standing up, taking Mjolnir and flipping it in his hand, effortlessly catching it as though it was as light as a feather. "I have a simpler one," he looked between the team and shrugged. "You're all not worthy."

Percy rolled his eyes, smiling, as there was a chorus of disagreement and protest from the others. What happened next took them very off-guard. A loud, deafening, high-pitched sound blared in all of their ears, and, because of Percy's enhanced hearing, he could still feel his ears buzzing long after the sound had stopped. He covered his ears in an effort to block it out.