35

The world they had arrived in, Svartalfheim, home to the dark elves, was a dull, dark realm. The sky was clouded over, with an almost greenish tint, and the floor beneath the ship, which was still moving, was rocky and dirty. The sun looked like it was going through a solar eclipse. All in all, it wasn't a very happy-looking world. Loki slowed down the ship, ad then sat down, a hand still on the lever. Percy sat across from him, sighing. Thor knelt beside Jane, pulling a cover over her, before sitting at the opposite end of the ship, keeping an eye on her.

"Oh, what I could do with the power that flows through those veins..." Loki shook his head, thinking aloud.

"It would consume you," Thor replied quietly, not taking his eyes off of Jane.

Loki shrugged. "She's holding up alright," he said. "For now."

"She's strong in ways you'd never even know," Thor gazed at her lovingly. What would Percy give to be able to display his affection for Loki like that, without having to worry about all the politics and consequences that would come with it? He was knocked out of his thoughts by Loki's voice again.

"Say goodbye."

Thor shook his head. "Not today."

Loki scoffed. "This day, the next, a hundred years," he stood up. "It's nothing. It's a heartbeat."

Percy stood up to, sensing an argument brewing. "Loki-"

"You'll never be ready," he went on. "The only woman whose love you've prized will be snatched from you."

"And will that satisfy you?" Thor looked up.

"Satisfaction is not in my nature," Loki smiled, ignoring the looks Percy was giving him.

"Surrender is not in mine," Thor shot back.

"The son of Odin," Loki's words were laced with venom. Percy was glaring daggers at him, but still took no notice.

Thor seemed provoked by this and stood up as well. "No, not just of Odin! You think you alone were loved of mother? You had her tricks, but I had her trust!"

Loki grimaced. "Trust?" Percy could see the tears Loki was fighting back. "Was that her last expression? Trust? When you let her die?"

"Loki, please-" Percy stepped forward, but Thor promptly cut him off.

"What help were you in your cell?" He spat.

"Who put me there?" Loki snapped. "WHO PUT ME THERE?"

"YOU KNOW DAMN WELL! YOU KNOW DAMN WELL WHO!" He pushed him into the edge of the ship, raising a fist, but then stopped himself, backing away. "She wouldn't want us to fight..."

Percy looked between them, and Loki recovered from the fight that had happened before saying, "well, she wouldn't exactly be shocked."

The two brothers shared a small, sad smile. Thor sighed before turning his back to Loki and Percy. "I wish I could trust you."

Loki got to his feet, his face dead serious. "Trust my rage."

They kept riding forward and, for the first time since Asgard, Loki met Percy's eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, m-" he stopped himself. He had almost said, my love. Loki smiled understandably, knowing what he was trying to get across. "-My friend. You're not the one at fault here."

"Percy-"

"No," he shook his head. "Stop."

"I'm trying to-"