12.

"Remi." I whispered and he groaned, pressing his nose against my neck softly. I closed my eyes, sighing. I felt an urge to wrap my hands up in his waved hair and pull him close.

But I didn't.

"Um, Remi, were you taking me to show me something?" I whispered and he pulled away, his eyes wide. They quickly flashed back to golden as he nodded quickly. He almost seemed kind of out of it, like he'd been somewhere else for a minute and just realized.

"Yeah, sorry." He mumbled, stuffing his hands into his pockets. I shook my head with a smile.

"It's fine." I said and he grabbed my hand again. I couldn't help being happy just being in his presence.

"Come on," He pulled me out the back door and my heart started to pound, but not in a good way. This house was surrounded by a thick layer of Forrest. I had no idea how long it went.

I stopped in my tracks, which accidentally yanked on his hand a bit. He noticed and turned around, looking at me skeptically.

"What?" He asked, stepping close to me and placing a hand on my arm. I stared at it for a long second, noticing his hand tingled there too. Would his touch always feel like this? He must've noticed me staring and thought I minded, cause he quickly pulled his hand away. He sighed, looking down at me with a small smile. "Ryleigh, you don't have to be afraid. You can trust me."

And for some reason, I did.

"Okay, I trust you." I whispered a smile spread from ear to ear on his face. I took his hand as he walked in a direction for a while.

"So, what did Clara say?" He asked, trying to make conversation on the way to whatever he was showing me. Maybe he just wanted to take me on a long walk. It would be refreshing if he didn't ask so many questions. But I told him I trusted him.

"Just her usual insults. Slut. Whore." I shrugged and a frown took place of his smile. I could tell it bothered him.

"Why do they say that? Why do you let them?" He asked and I looked down at my feet as we walked.

"Because they're right." I mumbled, hoping he didn't hear me. But he had like super hearing or something.

"I don't believe that." He said. I looked up into his eyes. He really believed what he was saying.

"And what if told you I'm not a virgin." I said and he shrugged. Excuse me?

"And?" He asked and my eyes went wide. Most guy's automatically assume you're a slut if you're not a virgin.

"It's just, most guys-"

"I'm not a guy, Riles. I'm a man." He pouted his lips and raised his eyebrows, nodding his head seriously. I rolled my eyes with a laugh.

"Well, I don't think I'm as innocent as you believe." I said and he shrugged, giving me a look that said 'try me'.

"I think you are." He said and I looked down at my feet. Was I really about to tell him?

"Well, there's kind of a big reason why they call me that at school actually. Has to do with my mom and why I'm adopted." I said, and he stared at me intently. He was deeply interested in every word. But not like he wanted to know the gossip, like he wanted to know about me.

"What do you mean?" He asked, falling into step beside me, each step matching. I looked at our feet as we walked.

"Well, I've never told anyone, because most people at school know. They don't get it, but they know about it. Isaiah gets it." I explained and he nodded, not rushing me with my words. He wanted me to be comfortable telling him.