Twenty-Eight // Deserve to be Happy

Oliver Greene

It was a bright, cool Sunday morning. After talking with Mia earlier in the week, I felt lighter and my head felt clearer. I looked outside to see the leaves were starting to change colors and there was a light breeze. I was in the backyard, cleaning up the garden and planting the last of my seeds before it got too cold when I heard the back door slide open. I looked over to see my mom stepping out onto the patio.

"Hey, mom." I greeted her with a smile before looking back down at the seeds I was spreading.

"Hi, sweetheart." she replied, smiling back at me as she sat down at the small table on the patio. She took a sip of her tea and set her cup down. "It looks beautiful back here. I can't wait to see it in the spring." she said.

"Thanks. Me too." I said, patting some dirt over the last of the seeds.

"Oliver, I know there's a lot going on right now with your brother and school, but there's something we need to talk about." she gently said. I felt my heart lurch and I sat back on my knees.

"Yeah?" I asked, nervous.

"Do you remember that conference I went to for work over the summer?" she asked. I thought for a second before nodding.

"Yeah." I responded.

"Well, while I was there I got to network and connect with a lot of people. I ended up meeting a man, his name is David, and we hit it off." she said, pausing. I felt all the blood drain from my face.

"Like, you're, together?" I carefully asked.

"Well, that's what I want to talk to you about. I don't want to continue anything with him if you and Henry aren't understanding." she said carefully choosing her word.

"Do you mean forget dad?" I whispered, looking down at the gloves I was wearing, covered in dirt.

"No, Oliver. Of course not. That's not what this is about at all. I loved your father, you know that. I just-" she paused. "I feel like this could be my chance to be happy with someone again. I wouldn't be telling you this if I didn't see it working out." I just nodded, unable to form words.

"Yeah." I mumbled. I stood up, pulling the gloves off. "Sorry, I just-I think I need a second." I said, feeling myself start to choke with tears. I hurried through the back door.

"Oliver, can we talk about this? Please?" I heard her call after me. I hurried out the front door and continued walking. I had no real destination in mind, I just needed to get away. Clear my thoughts.

I stopped at a clearing beyond my neighborhood at the edge of a little known park, Clearwater. I collapsed onto a bench, my legs feeling wobbly. I was struggling to slow down my breathing. Before I knew what I was doing, I'd pulled my phone out and held it to my ear.

"Ollie?" Ben's voice floated through the speaker. I closed my eyes and pulled my knees up to my chest.

"Are you-are you free right now?" I asked, struggling to keep my breath even.

"What's wrong?" he asked, concern evident in his voice. I dropped my head on my knees.

"I just-I" I stopped, not really sure why I'd called him.

"Where are you?" he asked.

"Clearwater." I mumbled, trying to steady my breathing.

"I'll be there in five." he said before hanging up. I let my hand drop, my phone sitting on the bench as I wrapped my arms around my knees.

I'd finally gotten my breathing under control when I heard a car, making me to look up. I saw Ben park and hop out, striding towards me.

"Can I sit here?" he asked, a worried smile on his face. I nodded, resting my chin on knee. "What's going on?" he softly asked, making me look over at him. He was close. Really close. Is this bench actually that small? I dropped his gaze and shrugged.

"I-my mom. She's met someone and-" I felt myself get choked up again. I felt a light touch on my back. I looked over at Ben, seeing concern in his eyes, encouraging me to continue. "I just - it's been eight years. I should be fine with it. I am fine with it, it just surprised me I guess." I whispered the last part. "I never imagined my mom meeting someone. That probably sounds selfish, but I guess I always thought it would be us three for the rest of our lives. Which sounds dumb now that I say it out loud." I mumbled, resting my chin on my knees.

"I'm not sure time can ever fully heal wounds as deep as losing a parent." Ben gently said. I looked over at him. "What?" he asked.

"I didn't know you had such profound words knocking around in your head." I lightly chuckled.

"Hey! I'm not just good looks and great football skills. I have a thought or two every once in a while." he joked, lightly nudging my arm, making me smile. We sat in silence for a few moments. I looked at the trees, the array of colors shining in the now mid-day sun. "Were you playing in the dirt?" Ben asked.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Your hands, they're covered in dirt." he said, gesturing to my hands. I let go of my knees.

"Yeah, I was gardening." I said, realizing the gloves I'd been using must have a hole in them.

"Your dad's garden?" Ben gently asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, my dad's garden." I said, looking back at the trees, letting the breeze wash over me.

"Did you leave?" Ben suddenly asked. I gave him a confused look. "Did you leave when she told you?" he asked. I felt myself pale.

"Shit. I did. I don't know why. God, that was a really, really bad idea. I should get back and apologize." I said, letting my knees go as I braced myself to stand up.

"C'mon. I'll take you home, okay?" Ben said, standing up. I nodded and stood up, walking side by side with him back to his car.

When my house came into view, my nerves kicked up. As if sensing it, Ben called my name.

"Hey, Ollie." he said, making me look at him. "It's going to be just fine. I promise. She loves you, she'll understand." he reaffirmed. I nodded.

"Yeah." I whispered, looking at my house. "Thank you. For coming when I called. I know that was kind of weird." I said, nervously laughing. Ben's lips quirked up in a smile.

"Hey, I called you drunk. At least you weren't completely obliterated and lost at 3 in the morning." he joked, lightening the mood. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Well, thanks." I said, meeting his eyes. We sat there for a moment, me getting lost in his amber eyes. "I should go." I whispered, breaking eye contact and feeling my cheeks begin to heat up as I unbuckled my seat belt.

"Just tell her the truth. It'll be okay." Ben nodded. I smiled at him before getting out of the car and closing the door. I waved at him from the front door as he began to drive away. I stepped inside, seeing my mom sitting on the couch her head in her hands.

"Mom?" I asked. She looked at me and jumped up, relief on her face. I rushed over to her and hugged her. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have reacted like that. I was just really surprised. You deserve to be happy." I said, hugging her tightly as she hugged me back. She pulled back and smiled at me.

"I am happy." she said. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, but you deserve to be happy with someone else. Like you said." I replied. She kissed my forehead and brought me in for another hug. "I want to meet him though." I said, making my mom pull away in shock.

"What?" she asked, a skeptical look on her face.

"I need to make sure he's good enough for you. Then you may proceed." I said. She laughed and nodded.

"Okay, deal." she pulled me in for another hug and I hugged her back tighter.

Ben was right. Time may not heal the wound of losing my dad, but I can make room in my life for someone else. Especially if that someone makes my mom happy.