Chapter 16: Unexpected Visitors

Nathaniel

I sighed, setting down my book and rubbing my eyes. Douglass looked up from where he was reading. "Getting tired?"

"Tired of reading all day every day and hoping to find the answer that probably doesn't exist? Yes."

He pursed his lips, closing his own book and getting up to sit next to me. "I'm sure we'll find something soon."

"We've gone through all of your magic books twice at this point, and we still haven't found anything." I leaned my head back against the back of the seat. "It's been weeks. I don't know how much longer I can spend every day reading the same things over and over."

Douglass sighed. "We could try to go to your apartment. Could be the change of scenery we need."

"I'd dreading going there. I haven't been there to pay the bills in over two months."

"If money is the problem, I can help. I have some old antiques that might make some decent money."

I shook my head. "No, I couldn't ask you to do that. Besides, I have my savings to help me out until I can get a job again. I doubt that I'll be allowed to work at the center anymore."

Douglass leaned against my side. He opened his mouth, then closed it again.

I rested my arm around him and poked his side. "You look like you want to say something. What is it?"

"I think you getting a job on the island... It's dangerous. With your uncle and the pack hunting you..."

"I know, but I need to pay my bills somehow." I glanced at him. He looked like he wanted to say something again. "What's with you and not saying stuff right away, huh?"

He hesitated. "Well, if you don't want to have to get a job... You could move out of your apartment and stay with me... Just until we get the whole Uncle Briggs problem under control."

I smiled slightly, noticing the heat in his cheeks. "Does it just have to be until we get it sorted out?"

He turned even more crimson. "I-I guess not."

I smiled wider, kissing the top of his head. "You'll have to help me pack my stuff up into the jeep. Shouldn't take too long to get the payments for the last couple of months to my apartment complex and sign the papers to move out."

"It's a plan, then." He stood up, moving to grab his shoes.

I rose my brow. "We going now?"

"The longer we wait the more money you owe. It's better to do this sooner rather than later."

I shrugged, getting up to get my shoes on as well. "Good point. Let's go."

~~~~~

When we got to the apartment, it was fairly easy to pack my things up. Since all I had was clothes, toiletries, and some kitchen supplies I decided I didn't care to keep, we got done within two hours. The furniture had come with the apartment, left by the previous owner, so I didn't feel the need to keep them. I managed to fit most of the things I wanted to keep in my suitcase and my backpacks. Douglass helped me carry anything that I couldn't fit in my bags to the car.

I grabbed my mail from the floor in front of the door, picking through it so I could find my bills. "Okay, I'm going to pay my bills on my laptop really quick, then email my landlady to let her know I'll be moving out. She told me when I moved in that I needed to pay a month's advance if I wanted to move out before my contract ends, so I'll do that."

Douglass nodded. "I'll take these to the car. Keys?"

I tossed the keys to him, and he caught them easily. He put one bag on eat shoulder, then grabbed my suitcase. "I don't think I can carry all this by myself."

I chuckled, opening my laptop. "I'll bring one of the backpacks and the trunk down when I'm done. Just wait in the jeep for me."

He nodded, heading out the door after he set down one of the backpacks.

~~~~~

Douglass

I set the suitcase down, grabbing the keys from where I'd stuffed them in my pocket. I opened the back and set the suitcase inside.

Just as I was taking the backpack off my shoulder, I felt someone grab my shoulder. "Nate?"

I glanced back, and it was not Nate who was grabbing my shoulder. I started to shout, but his hand clasped over my mouth. His eyes glowed with the same blue light I'd come to dread over the years, but his face was different enough that I knew he wasn't who I was fearing. He'd made himself look human, but the underlying features were there; he was a demon.

I struggled, but he punched my stomach. I grunted, pulling at his hand. If I could just reach my wand--

He slammed me against the car next to Nate's jeep, surely denting the metal. "Listen up, little siren."

I pushed his chest, not caring to hear what he had to say. He only shoved be back harder. "Stop struggling, you little shit. I have a message for you. From Maximus."

My entire body froze, and my blood went cold. He'd found me.

"He wants you to know that he knows all about your little boy toy. And he's watching. Waiting."

I felt my heart stop in my chest. Of course. If he found me, he would've known about Nate. He would know I'd truly moved on from him.

"And he wanted me to tell you... He's coming for you both."

That was when I felt the thin wire of my patience for the damned demon snap. It was one thing to threaten me, someone who had a bad history with Max, but threatening Nate, who had nothing to do with him... He'd crossed a line.

I used the supernatural strength I had and shoved him off me, catching him off guard with a strong right hook. Even after he fell, I didn't stop swinging. "You listen to me, demon. Tell your master that if you touch him... Even so much as bump into him on the street... I will personally hunt you down and slaughter you myself."

He shoved me off, growling lowly. "Sea bitch." He spat blood from his split lip and swung at me.

My cheek stung, then my nose. I felt blood dribble down my chin from my nose as he tackled me. "Get," I placed my hands on his chest, "Off."

I poured the magical energy I'd saved up into my hands, blasting him back. He slew a few feet before he fell, singed holes and burned skin on his chest from where I'd touched him. I stood up, taking a step towards him.

I heard someone running, but I didn't pay attention to it. I could feel my hands starting to heat up, and the earth below me trembled slightly.

I only stopped when I heard Nate's voice call, "Douglass!"

I turned, finding him running for me. In that split second I was distracted, the demon stood and kicked my knees, making me fall. When I swiped at him, he turned to smoke--a typical demon move to teleport.

Nate dropped next to me, bracing his arm on my chest to keep me up. "Merda santa, are you okay?"

I coughed, blood still flowing out of my nose. "I'm fine. Nate, I'm fine."

He wiped the blood with his sleeve, still holding me up. "What the hell just happened?"

My head was swimming. I brought my hand to the back of my head, and it became wet with blood. "Ugh..."

He shouted in alarm. "Douglass!"

"The cave-- I need to get to the cave."

He nodded, hauling me up and helping me into the passenger seat, then shoving his backpack and the trunk--which he'd dropped when he saw I was in trouble--into the backseat. He jumped into the driver, revving up the engine.

I didn't have the energy to tell him to wait, to not come with me. It was too dangerous for him. Before I could even utter one word, I went fell out of consciousness.