f i v e

September 2018

"Team, this is the last inter-college tournament a lot of you guys are going to have. You better not mess this up because you will not get a do-over. No more matches you can prove yourself in. After this, the only thing left for you to do is to finish your exams and go home. Say it with me, you will not mess this up. "

Jane, our middle blocker, laughed, "Coach, c'mon. You know that we're obviously gonna nail this tournament. So, let's save the cringey stuff for later, huh?" With a mocking chuckle, she added, "We have the great Abigail Davis, don't we? What could possibly go wrong?"

If one noticed closely, they could sense the jealousy behind that veil of mockery. I wasn't the best player in the world, but I knew that I was good at what I did. I gave her a sugary sweet smile and casually flipped her off.

I didn't have the best relationship with my team because well, they were despicable. And the hatred was mutual between us. We weren't friends, oh hell no, but we still had some begrudging respect for each other's skills and a deep-rooted trust which can be seen only between fellow sportsmen.

Even though Jane sounded like she was full of herself, I had to admit that even I had high hopes for winning this tournament. We were good. And when I say good, I mean really, really good. Our College's volleyball team was filled with over competitive adrenaline junkies. I would expect nothing less from them.

I was sure that we would win because I couldn't not win. I didn't like volleyball enough to pursue a career in it, but it still was a part of me. It wasn't just that I wanted to win this, I needed to win this.

College, a very important chapter in my life, was about to end. And I'd be damned if I don't leave it with a bang.

Coach Harrison glared at her, "Overconfidence isn't going to win us this match, Ms. Evans, but team cooperation will. So, for the love of God, say it with me. You will not mess this up."

The sound of collective groans went up the air. But the coach didn't budge, he just placed his hands on his hips and gave us a look which clearly said, "If you don't do this, you might as well say goodbye to your legs."

We rolled our eyes in sync and said monotonously, "We will not mess this up."

Giving us a satisfied nod, he snapped his fingers, "Great. Now, as you all are going to absolutely nail this, give me another four laps around the field."

Everyone except me moaned in agony. I just grinned and adjusted my ponytail, getting ready for the run.

A sharp whistle tore through the air, "Davis! Come here!"

Nibbling my lips in question, I jogged towards him, "Yes, coach?"

His face, which often expressed dismay or anger, was now contorted with worry," Davis, you madwoman, did you even eat lunch before coming to the practice?"

I scratched the back of my neck and tried to lie, "Yes?"

He sighed, "Half a sandwich doesn't count as lunch, Abby." He crossed his arms across his chest and frowned, "Are you okay, kid? Is there something bothering you?"

The corners of my lips lifted up. Sawyer Harrison was a type of man that you can't help but look up to. He wasn't just our coach, he was kind of like our father figure, too. I liked to think that I was one of his favourites, though he kept insisting that he hates all of us barbarians. It was one of the sweetest things in the world. I nodded, "Yes, coach. Why do you ask?"

"You don't seem okay."

My smile fell. Was I okay? Me and Noah were going strong after all that Ethan mess. Apart from some petty fights which left a bitter taste in my mouth, everything was fine between us. Ups and downs are part of a healthy relationship. You aren't doing it right if you don't fight once in a while, right? At the end of the day, all that matters is that we are still together.