CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

A/N- New chapter
Enjoy 🥂

"She's waking up. She waking up." A voice said as I struggled to open my eyes. When I finally opened my eyes slowly.
"The blinds." I croaked. The lights were blinding my eyes.
"Sorry... Sorry." The voice said as the blinds were shut.

My sight was clearing up and I saw that the owner of the voice was Scarlett.
"I wish that everyone leaves the room, so I can assess the patient." My doctor said immediately he entered.
I heard footsteps until the last person shut the door.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked.
I smiled as I rolled my eyes at him.
"I can see the sass is back. So it's pretty obvious you know who I am. Do you feel nauseous? Dizzy? Or any other thing?" He asked.
"No, I don't think I feel those things. The only thing I feel right now is that my throat is really dry."

"Ohh... That's normal. Wow! This surgery went pretty well. You'll remain in the hospital for observation and you'll be moved to a even bigger room so you can be more comfortable. You'll start your chemotherapy next week. Know that this is also another risky period due to the nature of your cancer. You can react to the drugs and why as a doctor I wish that you get better, I know that these things can be complicated but I also know how much you love honesty."

I smiled a bit and said, "Thanks so much Doctor."
"It's no problem at all. You're my favorite patient anyway." He said and winked.
I rolled my eyes, "I beg to differ. I would have given a sassy reply but my throat is too sore for that."

My doctor laughed heartily and started calling my friends and family one after the other so he can confirm if I knew all of them. Good news is, I passed the test. I was a sweetheart during the whole thing, well except with Mason. I pretended that I couldn't remember him. I never knew my acting skills were top-notch until now. He kept asking me different things but I kept saying I didn't remember. When I saw that Mason has lost all hope that I'll remember him, I started laughing.

"You're such a scaredy cat."
He glared at me, "Not funny at all. Not funny."
"Admit it, it was. You needed to see your face." I laughed again, then I felt a sharp pain from one on the stitches on my head, so I toned down my laughter a notch.

"I can't with you anymore." Mason said shaking his head and walking out.
I kept laughing. This was definitely a priceless moment.

For the next two weeks in the hospital. Doctors were just coming in to check on my vital organs to know when to start the chemotherapy. These two weeks were the best moment of my life. Scarlett finally got together with Marvin, Brittany got an anonymous donation to get a new car(it was from me, but I didn't tell her.) I think she knew but decided not to say anything 'cause she knew that me giving it to her anonymously means I don't want any mushy feeling.

I binged watched 'Grachi' with Mason. I forced him to watch it with me but I'll like to think he agreed to watch it willing. But seeing as he's enjoying it, I'll say I made a right decision.
I started chemotherapy today and trust me when I say it was every shade of horrible. I've done it before but this feels worse, or maybe my brain numbed the pain I felt five years ago.

This chemotherapy felt weird, like my body was resisting the drug. It felt like something was really wrong. Which is why I decided to talk to Mason should anything go wrong. I paused the movie we were currently seeing. The title is 'Law Abiding Citizen.'

"Hey," Mason protested when I paused it, "It was getting to the good part." He grumbled.
"Sorry, I just want to tell you something." I said hastily. I was already sweating buckets by now.
Mason looked at me critically and asked, "Are you okay? Should I call the doctor or something?"

I shook my head in reply. He wanted to stand up from the bed but I quickly held him back.
"Leave the doctor for now. Just listen to me, okay?"

"Ermm... Okay-y-y." He drawled.
My grip on him loosened, "You know Mason, some friends are met for a moment in your life but some are long term. The fact that some people don't stay by your side for long, doesn't diminish their importance. You know that right?"
Mason's brows furrowed in confusion, "Yeah, but..."
I interrupted him, "Shhh. That's all I needed to hear. Mason should I, you know, not survive this please I want to please try your best to move on. Don't suffer because of me, it will hurt me and you'll be ruining our memories together. You're all that your mom has so please always be there for her, she's really counting on you. I want you to be out there conquering the world, do you. My utmost wish is that you are happy. Can you do that for me? Just nod your head if you can." I said, by now I could feel a really sharp pain in my lower abdomen but I tried my best to hold it in and not wince.

He nodded his head but he looked like he wanted to say something but I shook my head.
"Show me the video you put together for our project." I nudged him.
He got his laptop and opened it. The first slide was Mason saying all he knew about me. He added videos of moment that I didn't know he was even filming. The last slide was my failure at French when we went to Paris. The one which I mistakenly called the receptionist weiner small.
"So how do you see it?" Mason asked expectantly.
I could barely form words as tears freely flowed from my eyes.

"It's-It's-It's phenomenal. Thank you so much. I didn't even know those things about myself." I said.
He wiped my tears and smiled, "I told you I know better than you know yourself."

"You win. I definitely agree." I smiled.
I slowly raised up from my lying position into a sitting position. So that my back was resting on the wall. I pulled Mason into a tight hug as tears flowed freely.
"I'm so glad that I met you. Thank you for everything." I could barely hold back my tears. Somehow I felt this was our final moment together.

"You're acting weird. What's wrong? Are you alright? He asked in panic.
"That doctor you wanted to call, now will be the right time." I smiled in pain.
Mason rushed out in panic as I slowly lay back on the bed.
The machines started whirring around me immediately Doctor Norman entered. He told Mason to leave the room so he can see what's wrong.

As Doctor Norman was trying everything to normalize me, I held his hands and shook my head. We both knew it was a lost cause, I'm almost gone.
"Let go Doctor. It's time, we both know. Let's just have this last moment together."
Doctor Norman's eyes teared up as he watched me slip away slowly.
I held his hand tightly as I muttered, "Thanks so much for everything."
I felt myself floating out of my body, I felt peace for the first time in my life.

No more drugs, no more chemotherapy, no more being used as a lab rat to try new cancer drugs to see which will work better. As I took my last breath, I finally felt free. No more pain or tears.

Dying felt like freedom.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mason's P. O. V

As I saw the Doctor's forlorn look immediately he stepped out of Hailey's room, I just knew that she's gone.
I decided to ask, maybe so he can prove my guess wrong, "How's she doctor?"

Doctor Norman shook his head and said, "I'm sorry, she didn't make it. She reacted to the drug due to the nature of her cancer and that caused her to have a seizure..."
I zoned out after that. I sat on the floor in disbelief. I can't believe that I just lost Hailey in less than ten minutes. Hailey has always be there, I don't know how I can cope with her not being here again.

I now understood the reason for the conversation we had an hour ago. Hailey knew she was going to die. How? I don't know. But she just did.
Hailey knew calling the doctor would have been a waste of time. Now I knew why she told me to call the doctor.
She didn't want me to see her in pain. Even till death, Hailey still took care of me emotionally.

Oh Hailey! Can anyone ever fill your shoes?

A/N- Death hurts a great deal. Oh! How Mason must feel. No matter how we think and talk about it, doesn't make it hurt any less.
😓😓😓