Chapter 47/194: Rooftop Showdown - Symphonies of the Father

Although we'd initially planned to SKIP this week's update, we decided that it is more important to us to not disappoint those who waited for us and have read the special chapter, than to challenge those who didn't♡♡

So legit, if you have not read the special chapter BEFORE coming here, it is sadly your loss.

Anyhow, in either cases, this chapter is going to be a roller coaster so BUCKLE UP!

And give it ALL the interaction it deserves, because it holds a LOT of surprises :)

P.s. The soundtrack we have in mind for this chapter is the trailer music :)

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

His words took some moments to sink in.

As I'd seriously not expected him to phrase such a thing with such ultimate clarity, being him.

'You have fallen in love with Rickard, no?'

Huh?

What the... hell?

Why would he ask... such a thing... now?

My heart clenched at the sudden rush of thoughts sailing into it, as all aimed to check for what the Chairman just claimed about me.

I gulped, as I clenched my fists, and for some reason, one thought suddenly rose and dominated all those around it.

And that was the promise I'd made to Rickard Ellington Conway, earlier.

'To never share what one knows.'

Yes.

It didn't matter whether what he was saying was true or not.

I... I should not give any... definitive answer...

I tightened my jaw, as I assembled every single ounce of strength I had in every corner of my body. Fixing my eyes into his, I froze my gaze in my best attempt to imitate a shadow of the coldness his son has.

As I flinched not.

"I don't believe you are expecting an answer to your question-like statement, Chairman."

I was genuinely surprised by my own voice, with all the dead seriousness and coldness it contained.

In a sense, it seemed as though at this moment and this place, I was fearless.

Fearless whether he was gonna kill me or not.

My body kept on shaking, but I kept on clenching back, in an attempt to keep myself intact.

"Whether I assure or deny your accusation," I gulped, "You will still believe whatever you please. And so, there's no point."

He didn't flinch, as he kept on fixing me with his unmoved gaze.

I could swear I believe he saw me as an insect, because the massive indifference and frost in his eyes would not pass as being aimed at a human.

It was not possible someone could be this unfazed by another human's presence.

I bit my lips, "But in all cases, I believe I have been under your son's employ for enough time to have become compassionate with his issues, that is all."

Perfect, Char! No stutters or hesitation, you go Champ!

An idea shot to my head at this, clenching my heart.

Yet nevertheless, I knew it served my purpose perfectly.

My heart ached, sinking at what escaped my lips emotionlessly: