39: Yellow Roses

MARIA WAYNE

Charlotte came back the day after. As soon as she saw me – she knew something was off. I haven't slept all night – I couldn't. What that woman said to me in the restaurant was stuck in my mind. No matter how much I tried not to think about it – I just couldn't. Never, since I ended up on crutches, anyone said something so cruel to me. I would think about what that woman said to me one minute and then how Silas stood up for me the next. The mind was in a muddled state last night. My mood was already gloomy and the lack of sleep made me look even more lugubrious. "Will you tell me what's wrong?" She asked the third time since she came back.

I laughed it off, "I told you that nothing was wrong." I said and tapped the space beside me on the couch, "Come on, sit, and tell me everything." I said. She stayed still and folded her hand on her chest. We kept looking at one another for a couple of seconds before I gave up. I sighed and leaned against the couch, "Okay, fine. I will tell you, but promise that you will not overreact." I said to her. She tugged her hair behind her ear and sat beside me, "Of course, I will not." She said. I glanced at her before I averted my gaze to my intertwined fingers.

"Did Silas do something?" She asked as she placed her hand on my shoulder. I looked at me and shook my head, "No." I said. "What is it then?" She asked softly. "Last night something happened," I told her. She kept looking at me while I told her every bit of what happened last night. She was listening to me with her eyebrows drawn together and mouth slightly opened – I could tell that she was angry. As soon as I was done, she stood up and clenched her hands into fists, "That bitch!" she said. I just sighed and looked down on my lap. "It doesn't matter, Charlie. It is over. Can we please drop it?" I said to her.

She turned around to look at me, "No, how can she say that? If I was there – I would have kicked her fancy ass." She said stormily.

"It is okay. Silas took care of it." I told her. "Would you please calm down?" I asked her. She huffed and placed her hands on her waist, "That bitch." She mumbled under her breath while breathing heavily. "Listen, Charlie, it is all right. I mean, yes, I am upset too, but we can't cry over the spilled milk. Just leave it and tell me about your trip." I said.

Charlie came home in such a good mood. I didn't want to spoil it by talking about my problems. "But, Maria –" Charlie protested, but I didn't let her complete. "Charlie, please, can we forget about it? Silas controlled the situation. He was great." I told her. Her lips curled into a small smile, "He better." She mumbled. I nodded, "He was. He was great." I replied and it wasn't a lie. "Now, can you please tell me about your trip?" I asked her.

She sat back beside me and sighed before a genuine smile lit up on her face, "It was magical." She said. "It was so good, Maria." She paused and rolled her eyes skywards before looking back at me, "You know, what I would have done if I was there with you last night?" She said. I rolled my eyes, "You were telling me about your trip to Hawaii, Charlie." I pointed out. She blew her cheeks out, "It was great." She shrugged and got up from the couch.

I knitted my eyebrows together and looked at her, "Give me details!" I said to her. She looked at me, "We had a great time together." She replied short. "I should call Marcus and ask when he will bring Kathie back." She added.

It was the first time when Marcus and Charlie left Kathie behind for days. Marcus took Kathie with him to his office – he wanted to spend some time with his daughter. Charlie shifted from one side to another. I narrowed my eyes and looked at her face closely. She was typing something on her phone. I gasped. I got it. "You two broke the promise," I said. She halted and glanced at me before resumed typing on her phone. I gasped again, "And you didn't break the promise just once." I pointed out. I saw her pressed her lips together. "Not even twice!" My voice came out squeaky. "Oh my God, how many times did you two do it?!!" I asked loudly.