Chapter 46: Old Sellers

Tuesday
Sebastien and I are continuing with the silent treatment, but since it is final season I cannot let it get to me. Studying is my safe haven and the only thing running smoothly in my life at the moment. I am so into retyping up my notes tonight, I don't even hear my phone vibrating. The second time it beeps, I grab my screen and note that Becky is calling me. I slide it through.

"Emma?" Becky's voice cries out in pain.

"Becky?" I ask on high alert. "What's wrong?"

"Ray is in the hospital," her voice breaks. "She relapsed."

I cover my mouth in my hand my mind going a thousand different places.

"She's okay. She is...I ju-just wanted to let you know." Her anguish pours over the phone.

"I'm so sorry Becky. Do you need anything?"

"I am alright," she answers weakly. "I am going to spend the night at the hospital with her for now."

I chew my lip. "Do you want me to bring you anything? Maybe some of your textbooks or food?"

She goes silent for a moment. "Actually that would be helpful. I have an exam tomorrow. Thank you, Emma," she replies sincerely.

I stuff her textbooks in my bag before hurrying to catch the first bus to the hospital. Stepping into the waiting room, I immediately spot Becky's black hair and tear-stained face. I cut across the room to her and swiftly pull her in for a hug.

"What happened?" I ask, gently pulling away.

She shuts her eyes and shakes her head. "One of her exes," she says in disgust. "Was actually one of her old sellers and when they met up she took heroin. She was close to overdosing before the girl had to call the ambulance. I knew it! I knew no one from her past was good news. I just didn't want to come off as a jealous girlfriend."

"Hey, it's okay. She is alright right now. There was nothing you could have done."

We sit down in the waiting room before the receptionist tells us visiting hours are almost over.

"Want to come with me to visit her again?" Becky asks me tentatively, wiping her brown eyes.

"Of course," I respond.

We get permission and then walk into the room, tears instantly blossoming on my face. Ray is asleep, but her arms have scratch marks along the side of them and her skin is deathly pale with a little blue bruising. The nurse is changing out the fluids at her side but looks up towards us.

"Hello, girls. She actually just fell asleep. I would suggest coming back in a little while," the nurse informs us.

We both nod our heads and turn back out the door. As we exit the room, Becky explodes.

"I am so angry at her! How could she do this!" She screams.

My eyes go down to the floor as more tears threaten to fall. "I don't know. I don't think we can be angry with her right now, she is sick."

I turn to Becky and her face is contorted with pain and anger, but also fear. I blink away my own tears. I can't fall apart, I need to be a strong friend for her right now.

"How about we take a break and grab a snack in the cafeteria?" I offer consolingly.

"Okay," she replies softly.

We walk over to the cafeteria and snag a table. I excuse myself to make my way over to a vending machine and my false bravery cracks. The waves of emotion hit me. Rayna and I aren't very close, but every time I have seen her she has been so lively and excitable. To see her like this is downright terrifying to see how fast a moment can change things. I text the group and they let me know they are on their way, but the one person I really want to talk to isn't in that group chat. My fingers start tapping before my logic catches up. I dial his number and moments later he picks up.