Chapter 29: Tell Her

I hid my deepest feelings so well, that I forgot where I placed them. 

TW: This chapter deals with sensitive topics

J A M E S

"Yes. We need to talk."

Even though I suggested the whole conversation in the first place, I can't help the involuntary tinge of panic that immediately runs through me and so,

"Are you breaking up with me?" I blurted, almost immediately.

"What?" she blinks, rearing back, "That's not even- what?"

I just stare at her as she looks at me, shocked. Oh fuck.

"I panicked," I said sheepishly. 

"You panicked?" she repeats. 

"I panicked," I nodded.

She smacks me across the chest and while it doesn't hurt even a little bit I can't help the indignant sputter and the involuntary glare.

"Stop it," she says, before I can get a quip out, "I'm being serious. I told you that we needed to have a conversation."

"Fine," I say a little too snippily, mostly to conceal the fact that the nerves had made a reappearance, "Let's have it then, right now."

She sighs, taking a step back from me and I have half the mind to pull her back into my arms and keep her there.

"Living room?" she asks me quietly, picking up the little kitten that had appeared out of nowhere. I frown at it, as it snuggles into her hand like the little shit it is. Damn cat. It could get away with anything when it came to her. 

Instead of glaring at it some more though, I nod at her question and follow after her to her living room. 

When I'm finally sitting opposite to her, she presses her hands together and looks at me- a little hesitant, but mostly expectant.

"I'm not willing to pretend like the last day at your school didn't happen," she says after a moment, "Yes, I'm sensitive, and yes, I'm overly preppy- but that does not mean I will let someone treat me terribly without a valid explanation. I've had enough people treat me that way, and I no longer want to be treated that way."

I can only stare at her.

"So," she continues, not breaking eye contact at all, "If you don't like me-" her voice cracks, but she keeps going, "I can handle it. I'll back off, stop trying to be your friend- and I won't force you to be civil until this thing is done. But I will not handle you being more mean than necessary. If you don't like m-"

"If I don't like you?" I repeat incredulously when I can finally find my voice, "Seriously?"

Her expression breaks, and her eyes seem to get watery almost instantly. "You're asking me if I'm serious? After those things you said, can you blame me?"