▲ Serial Killers ▲

Sorry if this is too much! I'm just fascinated with this topic!

》A commonly accepted definition of a serial killer is an individual who has committed at least three murders with a "cooling-off" period between each, typically driven by a psychological motive such as sexual gratification.

Sociopathy and psychopathy are distinct social-emotional disorders.
Sociopaths struggle to form bonds and relate to others but can experience emotions like empathy and guilt. Psychopaths, however, lack genuine empathy and guilt altogether, often leading to criminal behavior due to a lack of emotional moral guidance.

Serial killers can be categorized based on their motivation for committing murder.

Visionary killers believe they are receiving orders from a divine entity, often experiencing schizophrenia or a psychotic break.

Mission-oriented killers see it as their duty to eliminate specific groups, like sex workers.

Hedonistic killers derive pleasure from the act of killing, whether sexually or thrill-seeking. Lastly, some are driven by a need for power and control.

Serial killers have been reported in most countries and on six continents.
While Western countries, including the U.S., tend to have more known serial killers than non-Western countries, experts speculate that this is likely due to increased media attention and better law enforcement efforts, rather than an actual increased prevalence of serial killers.

Serial killers usually suffer delusions of their own superiority over the rest of humankind. They blame others for their mistakes and often use this as justification for their crimes.

Brain scans of psychopaths show a thinner amygdala, responsible for fear and empathy. This lack of fear or empathy contributes to their behaviors, but predicting psychopathy isn't straightforward, as it's influenced by a combination of factors.

Not all psychopaths are killers, nor are all killers psychopaths. Some high-functioning individuals, like CEOs and lawyers, exhibit similar neural and behavioral traits to criminal psychopaths.

Many serial killers and psychopaths come from abusive backgrounds, although abuse doesn't directly create serial killers. Childhood trauma often plays a role in their development, with some killers targeting victims who resemble their abusers or traumatic experiences.

Several notorious serial killers have remarkably high IQs despite lacking formal education.
Rodney Alcala, also known as The Dating Game Serial Killer, boasted an estimated IQ of around 170, showcasing his intelligence and charisma. Similarly, other infamous murderers like Ed Kemper, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy had IQs in the genius-level range, with scores ranging from 136 to 145.

Serial killers frequently possess high levels of charisma, which they exploit to manipulate and lure their victims. For instance, Ted Bundy, known for his charm, even worked in politics. This charisma allows them to gain trust and deflect suspicion, a tactic often employed by psychopaths in various leadership roles such as politics, management, law, and law enforcement.

In the digital age, internet anonymity enables the expression of psychopathic traits, with platforms like Twitter and YouTube showcasing sadistic and self-important comments. This anonymity may also prompt individuals who typically feel empathy and guilt to suppress these emotions, leading to widespread psychopathic behavior online.

Female serial killers differ from male serial killers in several ways.
They are less likely to be motivated by sexual desires and more inclined to kill for financial gain.
Women often use less violent methods like poisoning, contrasting with men who typically use more direct means like shooting or stabbing. Additionally, female serial killers are more likely to have male accomplices, such as Karla Homolka and Myra Hindley, who worked with male partners in their crimes.

The origins of serial killers, whether they are a product of genetics or upbringing, have intrigued psychologists for years. While many serial killers experienced severe childhood abuse, indicating environmental influences, the presence of antisocial personality disorder, common among serial killers, suggests genetic factors. This suggests a complex interplay between genetics and environment in shaping extreme homicidal tendencies. As Jim Clemente put it, "Genetics loads the gun, their personality and psychology aim it, and their experiences pull the trigger."

Our fascination with serial killers taps into our primal instincts to pay attention to danger and calamity. True crime provides an adrenaline rush in a safe environment, fulfilling a psychological need for excitement. Additionally, the fact that serial killers often appear "normal" until caught adds to the intrigue, sparking a desire to learn their "signs" to avoid potential danger.

Features that are common with serial killers are:

They are white males

Their offences occur when they are in their 20s-40s

They often appear intelligent

Some can be considered a loner to those around them, whilst others are married or in long-term relationships

Studies have shown that more than half of serial killers have a past criminal history, and there appears to be a common association between serial killing, burglary and rape.

》There are also similarities when it comes to choice of victims:

Victims are predominantly a young adult female of the same race.

It is more common for you to be a victim at the hands of someone you know, however this does not apply to serial killers – serial sexual murders are twice as likely to involve strangers than someone you know.

》A serial killer selects victims based on three things:

availability (if there is access available for an attack),

vulnerability (extent to which the victim is at risk or susceptible to attack, e.g. walking alone vs with a group),

and desirability (highly subjective factor; the appeal of the victim to the offender).