Word on the street

Chapter Five

Olympia

It had been a few days since I met all Rob's friends, it was now Wednesday and my friends and I were once again eating chips for lunch. In all fairness, my drink was diet so that's technically healthy, right?

Opposite me on the table sat Jay, he was insufferable at the best of times, always talking about his father's wealth and how he didn't need to work hard because everything came naturally to him.

Difficult not to hate him isn't it?

"So I told mother that of course I was going to need a Porsche for my seventeenth birthday, after all I can finally get my driver's license, it's expected of me to have a nice car."

I shared a look with Kat, as my closest friend she could read my emotions with one look. She rolled her eyes at Jay's bragging, like me she despised him. As if his conceited attitude isn't enough to make you want to punch him, he is also extremely two-faced.

Choosing to ignore Jay's choice of conversation, Danny coughed to get everyone's attention.

"I have an important matter to discuss." We all looked at him confused, it was rare that Danny took anything seriously.

"Olympia has a secret boyfriend." Next to me Kat gasped and put her hands to her mouth in shock. 

"SHE WHAT!?" she turned to me, trying to seem angry when I could tell she was holding back a laugh, "I can't believe you didn't tell me! I thought we were best friends! We tell each other everything."

Danny nodded, "Don't worry Kat, she's been keeping it from all of us."

Kat couldn't wait any longer before bursting out into a laugh and I joined her, "Of course I knew you morons, I'm her best friend."

We sobered up enough to look at the faces of the boys, Jay looked indifferent, he was rarely interested unless it was about him, Danny looked confused and Joe was the only one who looked offended.

"Then how did Danny know?" Joe asked.

"Good question, how did you find out?" Danny winked at me.

"Word on the street is that you've been shacking up with some year thirteen."

"And what street did you hear that on, exactly?" I demanded, after Rob told all his friends that I was his girlfriend, we figured it would be best to tell that to my friends too, I just hadn't gotten round to it yet. Kat knew the truth though, there would be no way that I could have gotten with the guy we drool over every day and not told her.

"I can't reveal my sources."

I took his box of chips and held them captive under the table, he gave me a despairing look before relenting.

"Dan told me that Rob had introduced them to you on Saturday." satisfied, I handed him his chips back and he hugged the box to him, "It's okay babies, daddy's back." He whispered to them while the rest of us shared an uneasy glance.

"How do you even know Dan?" he shrugged.

"People with the same name make friends easily." I decided to let it go, that was one of the more normal things that Danny had said.

In my coat pocket felt my phone vibrate, pulling it out I saw a text from Rob, we texted a lot. Like none stop, he was one of those people that texted back quickly and that was trait I appreciated greatly.

'I can see you' was all it said, I looked around the outdoor seating area of the chip shop but her wasn't there so I looked across the street and saw him with Dan, Joey and El.