Chapter 12

*A/N: there's a fun little announcement at the end :)*

"I don't know, Caden." I gnaw on my thumb. We need something creative.

We walk down the emptying hallways together, heading for our infamous French class. I hold my textbooks closer as I evaluate our limited options.

He narrows his eyes, "Then what do you suggest, Charli ?"

I shrug, "I don't know. Do you have any good ideas?"

"Fine, touché. Our teachers aren't the most entertaining people," He pauses, coming to a halt as we round the stairwell. I'm forced to stop with him, looking over my shoulder as I back up a couple steps to stand beside him. "But..."

"But what?" I motion for him to continue, impatiently.

"I have an idea." He smiles at me. "I know someone who wouldn't mind being interviewed, and has an interesting story to tell."

"Do elaborate," I quip sarcastically as he pauses again. "We don't have all day."

He rolls his eyes. "His name is Atticus. Atticus Scott. He lives down at the retirement home in West Valley. He was a Green Beret in the army, and has plenty of amazing stories."

I think over the idea skeptically. "How do you know if he's willing to do it? We can't gamble with this project, Caden."

He waves me off, smirking. "I know a few people here and there, him included."

"If I trust you on this, will it blow up in my face?"

"Not like the bombs Atticus has seen." Caden counters. "Come on, I'm telling you, Sugar. He's a good guy, and helpful. He'd be more than happy to ramble his mouth off with war stories."

I nod slowly, "Which follows O'Brien's path of storytelling about the soldiers." Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

"There ya go. Exactly."

I shake my finger at him, "Don't be a condescending asshat now. You were doing so well."

He guffaws, "I thought we agreed on no name calling."

It's my turn to smirk at him playfully. "Darling, there's a difference between asshole and asshat."

"Oh, so you think I'm darling?"

"Daring–you're more daring than you should be." I clarify, beginning to walk again. He trails after me, a small smile on his face. I scoff, glancing over my shoulder. "Come on, Long Legs, walk faster. Madame is going to kill us."

"If you're going to call me Long Legs, I prefer you add the Daddy."

I snicker at his audacity. "Tik tok on the clock; running your mouth won't make time run any slower."

❂ ❂ ❂

We agreed on four thirty, which gave me enough time to drop Leo off to our local diner, and check on Mom. She has been doing better this past week, giving us slight hope that the medication won't backfire.

Time, time will only tell and that's enough to scare me.

Following Caden's instructions, I turn into West Valley—on the edge of Ascot—pulling up to what seems like a huge apartment complex.

West Valley is a beautiful place, but bad people, carrying bad choices, lurk around the corners at night.

I get out of my car, meeting Caden at the front doors. I shield my eyes with a hand, trying to keep myself from being blinded by the sun.