4. Babbity Rabbity

Damien sighed as he got out of his bed to go down for breakfast. He didn't want to though.

He had a huge family with two younger sisters, a younger brother and his parents. His family could get quite a handful to deal with sometimes. They were always loud and chirpy every morning and also mostly, always.

He didn't get why though. He had been quite different and quiet right from his childhood.

But how much ever crazy and unbearable they could get, he loved them to bits.

Damien could hear the commotion in the dining room from the stairs itself and shook his head. He reached and saw his mother as she tried to get everyone into control and his father laughing at his mother's attempts from the living room while he read his newspaper.

Here we go.

How are they so happy in the morning?

As he entered the dining room, everyone went quiet for a moment and stared at him before going back to screaming and shouting. He shook his head and went to his mother.

Kids!

"Morning, mum" He greeted his mother and kissed her on the cheek.

"Morning, sweetie. How are you feeling? It's a big day!" She smiled nervously and pinched him on the cheek to which he gave her an eye roll and just nodded and she laughed.

She loved doing that knowing he wouldn't like it.

"Dami! Look at my new soccer shoes. Just bought them last night with mummy at the mall." Timothy, his 7-year-old brother jumped up and down in front of him as he showed off his shoes.

"Wow. They look amazing, bud! Who chose them?" Damien asked and kneeled down in front him with a small smile as he ruffled his little brother's hair.

"I did it! But mom liked them too." He announced excitedly and Damien couldn't help but chuckle at his antics.

"Damien, come here!" He heard his father, Matthew, call for him from the living room.

"Yeah, dad?" He questioned as he entered the living room.

"How are you feeling, son?" His father asked with concern but tried to mask it.

"I'm fine, dad. Seriously, I'm okay." He assured him and offered him a small smile.

"It's your first day back after you know-uh-the incident. It's okay if you're not okay." His father explained.

"Yes, I know. But I'm good. It's been almost 3 months. I'd tell you if it isn't okay, okay?" He tried to reassure his dad.

Damien was a Sergeant in the Philadelphia Police Department. He was at a quite higher position for his age and most of his colleagues were jealous of him. He didn't see a reason to be, he worked hard for wherever he reached and was very proud of it. He excelled in his training academy and was given appreciation.

But after the incident, he couldn't handle himself. He blamed himself for what had happened. The things he saw that day still haunted him at nights. He had nightmares almost every day after that day. He was diagnosed with PTSD a few weeks after and he couldn't just go back to work.

He just couldn't. Not after what had happened and after what he had lost.

"This is great. I wish you the very best, son." His dad acknowledged with a smile and patted him on the back.

"Hey Damien, I want you to drop me off at school today. Please?" His 16-year-old sister, Suzy, requested as she came into the living room.

He came out of his thoughts and rose his brows in a question, "Why is that, Suze?"