.Prologue.

Life has always been unfair to Danica Evans, starting from the ripe age of 8 when she lost her father to cancer.

But it wasn't always like that, she was her father's little princess and him, her superhero. She constantly got what she wanted, from the princess dollhouses to the trending dresses. She looked up to him and adored him as he was her pillar of strength.

But the day her father died, she didn't know what to do or how to survive in the big world without her dad by her side.

Her mother tried to step up for her daughter. She tried everything she could to make her life as normal as possible, to make her happier again.

But nothing was the same, it never would be.

A couple of years down the lane, her mom remarried. She said she fell in love again, that she felt happy and secure again after a long time. So, Danny being the good daughter she was, accepted Michael to be a part of her family. He wasn't going to replace her dad, nor did he try. He was there for her mother and till the time her mother was happy, so was she.

But Michael wasn't truly who he said he was.

Danny knew that something was wrong with him a few months after he came into their life. He drank a lot and started to yell and smash things when her mother wasn't around. Her mother was a nurse and often worked late at night, so was mostly not around that left Danny with Michael.

A few years later Michael started to hit her. It got out of hand. So Danny told her mother who was blinded by Michael's love, that she didn't believe a single word Danny said. On the contrary, her mother presumed that Danny was depressed and was doing that to herself.

That day Danny saw her mother and just couldn't recognize her. She was just this woman who gave birth to her and who was now siding with her husband. After that day, she didn't speak to her mother for a long time but she was relieved that her mother was around more in the house than before.

But God had other plans for her life.

Her mother died in a car crash leaving her alone in the world with her shit of a stepfather.

After her mother's death, Michael became a whole new different person. He would get drunk and do drugs all the time and always blamed Danny for the death of her mother. He smashed things at her, punched her and would throw abuses at her with venom.

Still, Danny didn't give up on life.

She completed her high school and she took classes for four years to get a degree in accounting. She didn't know what Michael did and where he gets all the money from. But she worked her ass off at different temporary jobs to save money. But it was a waste. As the minute she would enter the house, Michael would take all the money she had and left her all to mend the wounds herself.

A year later.

Danica was in her room, tired and exhausted and far from all ruckus that was being made by Michael and his drunk friends.

Suddenly she got a call and to her surprise, it was from William Brown.

William Brown, the CEO of Brown Finance Inc. was a dear old friend of her mother. He used to come around a lot when Danny was younger and he always saw her as a daughter he never had.

Danny was happy that he remembered and contacted after all those years but what stunned her was that he offered her a job at his company with a salary she couldn't say no to. But she hesitated, as the thought of Michael crossed her mind. If he knew that she was going to work at such a huge company, he would demand more money. She did think of running away and starting afresh but that wasn't an option as she didn't have any open doors for her in this world and also she didn't have a lot of savings to start new.

After a lot of thinking, Danny accepted the job and decided to keep it a secret from Michael for as long as possible.

After a little more conversation with William, the only thought that crossed her mind was how did he know that she had a degree in accounting and finance.

__/\__

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! 👋

We're two girls from India who are obsessed with Wattpad and decided to write a story ourselves! We're new writers and we need all the support you can give us.

Don't mind the facts or logics in this story because we're here to make our own rules!😁

We're super excited but at the same time anxious to know what you guys will think about it.

And we'd also appreciate it if you leave your opinions in the comments and like and share our story!

PS. A lot of you might be wondering, being Indians, why not write an Indian story? It's because we've read a lot of books based on American culture and how they function. It's easy for us to imagine. Though we are from India, it's easier for us to write a story set in America rather than India.

Enjoy reading.❤