Chapter 13

It's our day off today at work and it's our payday, that's why we were all hanging out together here in the cafe.

After I dialed Reed's number, I said yes to his proposal and we talked about going out tomorrow since he's not available today. Lexi invited the two girls for a hangout instead. I can say no and they'll think something's wrong with me, or I can say yes and pretend that I'm fine and nothing's bothering me. I think you know what I chose.

I couldn't sleep last night. I was on the roof, eyes staring blankly at the sky as my mind floated around like I was in space. The park was the last place I wanted to go to. She might be there and I wouldn't want to be alone with her like yesterday. As I got home yesterday, I was finally relaxed, no more shaking or sweating. But I was left with my mind full of questions and curiosity. I don't know how to react around her now, especially since she's with us most of the time.

"Our date was a disaster, but we definitely had fun," said Lexi.

"Oh yeah, we did. After our dinner in Grandlake Restaurant, we decided to go bowling and once we got into our lane, the-" Kayla was cut off by her girlfriend who had a scowl on her face.

"There's this little kid who kept going in our lane, trying to knock the pins down, but his ball was always going in the gutter, and since he took most of our game, we spent a lot just to play a proper game. Where are his parents? I don't even know! Maybe they left him or maybe they're just bad parents who couldn't even take care of their kid. Then his parents came, bought him ice cream and we told them he kept playing in our lane, they said sorry and was willing to pay. While paying, you know what I did? Before he could eat his ice cream, I took it and he cried so bad and we ran away from the bowling alley!" She ranted.

The 3 girls burst out laughing, while I shook my head, feeling myself smile. Lexi doesn't care whether you're older or younger than her. She'll talk back to anyone who'll piss her off.

"You're such a bully!" I chuckled.

"I can't believe you did that!" Lucy gasped, shaking her head. "Poor little boy."

I eyed her skeptically. "Please, you'd probably do the same thing,"

Kayla spoke before Lucy could. "That's true. Lucy is much worse than Lex. She hates kids and one time, she snatched a kid's toy car and broke it just cause the kid used her head as a road,"

I let out a laugh, imagining the scenario. Lucy seemed like that kind of person. She and Lexi are bullies. While laughing, I noticed that Lucy was gazing at me with a gentle smile. It's a small action, but it's enough to send butterflies to my stomach. I coughed, my laughter dying down and I looked away.

I've been pretending that everything was good and that I'm okay with Lucy. So far, I think I'm doing a good job. But a smile like that, a simple touch, can destroy what I've been doing.

"Honestly, I would do the same," My best friend told us.

"Good thing we love kids," Kayla said to me. I nodded in agreement. Kids are amazing and cute. You just can't be annoyed at them.

"You're lucky you have a younger brother," I huffed out air.

"Take Lena!"

"Oh no, you can keep her. As much as I want to have siblings, I'm happy with being an only child,"

"Same here and we live next to each other. We're basically like sisters. Not by blood, but by heart," Lexi reached for my hand across the table and I grabbed it.

"How long have you known each other?" Lucy asked.

I touched my chin as I counted the years we've been friends. "14 years,"