Chapter 10

After inspecting the broken dishwasher, Sora Gates calls this project child's play when comparing this job to fixing a generator or busted pipelines. He says, "It's just the power box that's busted. No wonder it's been so clean. If it was the actual washer jets, this kitchen would be a cesspool of mold, and we'd be starvin' on precooked meals for the next few weeks."

The girl can't imagine such a disgusting sight. "If what you're saying is right, this job will be quick?" Vuela responds in question.

"Well, quick is relative. If I had the proper battery, it would be simple. But I don't, so this is going to be a makeshift job."

"You make batteries?"

"It's putting an electrical source to currents. Didn't you learn that in school? It's basic science. Very basic."

Vuela's freshman science class is not the most fulfilling experience of her school career. In fact, that's the class that really takes its time because of her classmates' stupidities. Her teacher is too understanding and naïve to go too much in depth when it comes to why science makes the world go round. In fact, this teacher doesn't have her students do projects. It's the easiest A Vuela has ever received, and she hates it.

"Too basic what I've learned. I think I went to a school for the small-minded."

"Want me to teach you how?" Sora offers.

"Yes, please."

Sora searches through his spare parts and pulls out one sheet of aluminum and one sheet of copper. "You see those yellow clips? Take three of them out."

Vuela does that. She recognizes these clips as volt sparkers. She uses these for her sailboard, which help the engines for her takeoffs and boosts. However, it's safe to only use two at a time because of how much power they generate. Too much could cause a burst in the mechanical map. At least that's what it says on the warning labels.

"Why do you need three of these?"

"Watch." Sora takes the clips and puts each one in an interesting place. One at the top, combining the two plates of metal, so that they are side-to-side and touching. Another connects at the bottom, so the sheets don't overlap. The third clip is stuck on the copper sheet. "Copper has a higher conductivity than aluminum. It will handle the electricity, so it doesn't overcharge the machine. And this is your battery."

"Now, all we gotta do is put it in the washer's power box," Vuela replies.

"Yes. First thing's first, we gotta take out the top rack."

Vuela pulls out the rack and pulls out the part since the connection to the inside is magnetic.

Sora's mechanical hand turns into a screwdriver, and it goes in the washer to loosen the panel of the top, which leads to the power supply.

"Are you ever afraid of electrocuting yourself while on the job?" the girl questions.

"I'd only be surprised if I didn't each time," is Sora's response. Once the panel and screws are loose and out, he asks Vuela to hold them until the battery can be put in. He connects them to the other wires and asks for the other parks back. "And that's that."

"Well, we gotta see if the piece of crap works," Vuela warns, putting the rack back into the machine. She closes it back up and the contraption begins to flash.

"Praise the skies, girl!" Sora exclaims. "That light is going."

Vuela bends down and presses the timer, setting it to two minutes, the lowest option. Then, she hits start. The light stops blinking and stays still.