34: The Truth Comes Out

"Guys, this is Nick. My boyfriend." 

That word. Boyfriend. It made me want to shut down and hibernate from the world forever. "We met at university," she says, looking at her shoes. 

"When I almost knocked her spaghetti off her tray. She flipped," Nick adds, shaking his head and chuckling. A shy smile formed on her lips, and he pecked her cheek.

"Nice to meet you," Louis speaks first, nodding his head in acknowledgement along with a polite smile.

"Yeah, you too," Nick says, smiling. "Nat's told me a few things about you guys." 

Nat. He just called her Nat. No one calls her Nat except for me. It used to just be something I did to annoy her, but then she got used to it, and it was just a nickname. I've always called her Nat. 

"Hopefully good things," Liam says, smiling. 

"Of course."

"Would you like anything? A drink? There's appetizers in the kitchen," Aunt Liz says, smiling that friendly at-home grin. 

"Actually, a beer would be great right now," Nick says, smiling. Aunt Liz's smile faltered a bit, but she didn't let anyone see. They disappeared into the kitchen. 

"I'll be downstairs," I say, giving everyone a tight smile and turning on my heels to walk back down the stairs. I could hear them talking as I walked away. 

"Is he okay?" Natalie whispered worriedly.

"Just....let him be," Niall advised hopelessly as if discussing a lost cause. I heard Nat sigh and the footsteps got louder behind me. I continued down the hall. When I was about to walk downstairs again I felt a hand gently grab my wrist. 

"Harry." 

I turned around. "What?" It came out harsher than I had intended. She looked up at me with concern in her eyes.