Chapter Seventeen

What were the requirements for becoming a prom king or queen? They had to be an upstanding and model student with a grade point average maintained over 3.0. They had to be positively involved in the community to show commitment to when they were elected – and when they were responsible for representing the student body and events and further fundraisers for the rest of the year.

The deadline for signing up to be a part of the royal court or otherwise known as the prince and princesses was the Friday of the last party. The electronic voting for the student body's monarchs began first thing Monday morning and would end at the same time as tickets stopped selling on the thirteenth of February at 3'clock sharp.

People had plenty of time to cast their votes and truly consider who they wanted to win the popularity contest.

Anna and I set up a table that day to fend questions any of the students had while they voted – all the while Anna hadn't said a word to me that didn't relate to the prom committee duties.

The only positive thing that came out of that morning sat together was the surge of votes for Parker and Sabrina who had a healthy lead in front of Jack and Gerald, and with a grand sum of two votes, Sasha and Chester were last.

"Yeah, you have to use a school email account, or it won't process the vote," Anna addressed a student, pointing to the screen of her iPad. "It's so people can't create multiple accounts to vote and to make sure only students are voting."

"That makes sense. You guys won't start sending me spam emails, will you?" the guy joked.

"If you see at the bottom, you're agreeing to let us send you one email closer to the day with all the information to do with prom, but other than that, we won't send you anything." Anna raised two fingers, making the guy smile. "Scout's honour."

"Okay. Thanks so much."

"You're welcome. If you've got any more questions, feel free to drop by again."

As soon as the hallway cleared, Anna started packing up the two tablets and the rest of our stuff on the table.

"It's like half the school can't read," I muttered.

"No point complaining. We volunteered for this, remember?"

"I know that. It's worth spending extra time with you. Are you still mad?"

"What do you think, Sam?" she said.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not even the fact that you're both . . . doing whatever it is you're doing. I really don't want to think about that. It's that you lied to me. You get that, right? And yes, withholding information like that is lying, before you say anything."

"I wasn't going to say anything like that."

"Look, I'm still feeling icky, so I don't want to talk about this right now."

"Okay," I agreed and took the bag from her hands.

"Okay," she sighed out. "Bye, Sam."

I frowned as she walked away. "When can we talk about it?"

"I don't know. Some other time."

"Okay," I repeated. "Feel better soon."

She had the gay-straight alliance meeting to go to. It kind of seemed that she didn't care if I wanted to go to that meeting anymore, which was a bummer. She'd been so excited for me to go in the first place and was one of her first suggestions for both of us to do to spend time together.

Maybe she needed space.

Before heading outside, I got Sabrina's beanie out of my locker, having not brought a hat of my own to school that day and went to the bleachers on the opposite side of the school.