Part 9

The house was empty. No one popped up in my room. I sighed. Adele still wasn't home. What was up with her? I filled a small bowl with grapes in the kitchen then headed back upstairs. Ten minutes later, I heard the front door open downstairs. Footsteps sounded on the stairs. Dad. Shortly after, came Mom. They were both concerned at the fact that Adele still wasn't home. Mom considered calling the cops. But Dad pointed out that Adele was an adult. They both went down to the living room to discuss the matter.

Though, lucky them, not five minutes later, the front door slammed. I knew it was Adele. I was right because, thirty seconds later, I heard yelling. Mom and Dad never yelled so I knew it wasn't them. I left my room and crept downstairs. Adele's back was to the living room entrance. I noticed Mom sitting on the big couch, Dad on the opposite one. I didn't move. "You guys are always nagging me!" Adele was yelling.

Mom, in her calm voice, "Honey, we're not-" She stopped, noticing me. Adele turned around, surprised to see me. She had on the same clothes from the previous day – sweatpants and a cami. Her makeup seemed smudged on her face and her hair was frizzy and messy as though it had dried after being caught in the rain. In other words, Addie didn't seem to be in the best shape.

"What's happening?" I asked.

Adele's eyes were big and sparkly, in a crazy sort of way. A way that told me this argument wouldn't end until she got her point down. Not that she ever actually had one. She pointed accusing fingers at Mom and Dad. "They're nagging me! I barely entered the house when they started firing questions!"

Adele's words were slightly slurred. Not to a point where you'd really notice but, as her sister, I did. She must had been drinking. The effects didn't seem too serious. They probably already had time to wear off. I took a small step towards her. "Where were you?" I asked cautiously.

Adele's eyes widened in betrayal. "You too?"

I shook my head quickly. "Addie, no. I'm not against you. I'm concerned about you. Where'd you disappear to?"

Adele stared at me for a while, as though considering my words. "You know I went to a pool party at Jas' cousin's place."

Mom. "But sweetheart, that was yesterday."

Adele turned to Mom angrily. "I'm not talking to you!" she yelled.

Dad, in a calmer tone, "Adele, don't talk to your mother like that."

Adele glared at him. "You guys are never on my side!"

Mom. "Sweetheart, we're not against you. We're just trying to understand the situation right now."

Adele. "What situation?"

Dad. "Your whereabouts, that's all."

"Well don't worry about that. I'm twenty."

Dad. "We understand that."

Mom. "But a simple call wouldn't hurt."

Dad. "Isn't that why you have a cellphone?"

Adele looked down and scratched behind her ear. "Well... not anymore."

My eyes widened. Mom seemed worried. "What do you mean?"

Adele spoke quietly. "You guys are gonna get mad but... I lost my phone."

Dad's eyes widened. "When?"

"Not too long ago."

Mom. "Why didn't you tell us?"

Adele. "I didn't think it was that important."