31. Greymail, Act 2

'...and half the village girls seem to want to be your flower girl. With the way things are going, you'll either end up with a flower brigade, or no flowers at all, because they'll strangle each other fighting for the privilege. I think the best way to settle the matter is—Lilly! Lilly, are you listening?'

'Hm? What?'

'Now, really!' Adaira shook her head. 'I know you have no problems at all with having your bevy of friends and sisters take care of the finer details, but you need to listen now and again. Tomorrow is your wedding day! What could possibly be more important than that?'

How about making sure I live long enough to see it?

Tomorrow might be the day of my wedding—but today was the day of battle. Today, I had a rendezvous with my blackmailer.

'Adaira?'

'Yes? Have you made a decision about the flower girl?'

'No. We'll have to postpone that discussion. I need to take a short walk.'

'A walk? Unless you mean one down the aisle, I hope you're joking. Do you know how many things there are still to take care of? Your little antics in the village yesterday might have been nice and wonderful and charitable, but they also meant that the good reverend has been flooded with offers and gifts and God only knows what else. It didn't exactly help that you ended the picnic by inviting the entire village to the wedding! We have to—'

'Adaira? Not now.'

She must have heard something in my voice, because she lowered the list of chores in her hands and looked at me.

'Lilly? Is everything all right?'

'Not entirely.' I gave her a smile that was neither very joyful nor very amused. 'I have a little matter to take care of.'

Please don't ask what. Please.

She studied my face—and then once again proved what a fabulous friend she was. 'Can I help in any way?'

'No. I can handle the matter.'

She gave me another long look—then nodded. 'All right. If you need me, I'll be behind the manor house, testing candidates for the post of flower girl.'

My brow furrowed. 'How do you judge someone's capability as a flower girl?'

A grin flashed across her face. 'You give a group of girls a bunch of flowers. The ones who can hit your aunt and twin sisters most often get the job.'

'Adaira? If I ever get the chance, I'll force my dear future husband to make you the head of his personnel department.'

Leaving my capable friend and future sister in charge of flower ballistics, I returned to my room. Not that I'd spent much time there, particularly during the night, but I had thought it prudent to obtain a room of my own, if only to keep poor Lady Samantha from suffering a coronary. Plus, having a room that was off-limits to anybody else did have some additional advantages.

Striding over to the bedside table, I pulled open the top drawer and withdrew my trusty revolver. It had seen me through many a dangerous adventure. All I could do was hope that today would be no different.

'My Lady?'

A knock came from the door. Hurriedly, I slid the revolver into the folds of my dress, for the first time in a long time thankful for the bulky garments I was forced to wear.

'Yes?'

Benson entered and performed a perfect bow. 'His Lordship's, um...auxiliary wedding guests have arrived.'