chapter one

Benny and I had been day one friends. We met when we were in the fourth grade and stuck by each other's side ever since. Benny lived two streets over from me, so we would hang out virtually every day. My parents loved him and would consistently joke about the two of us dating as we got older. 

School starts in less than a week. Our first year of high school. Would things change for us? Would Benny want to start hanging around other guys rather than me? Would he become so engrossed in these other guys that he would forget about me all together? Would I end up friendless? What if other girls-

My thoughts were cut off as a sharp knocking on my window began. My head snapped up to see who it was. Benny. I breathed out as I walked over to let him in. 

"You know, you can just walk in the front door," I remarked as he crawled into my first floor bedroom. 

"Eh, less fun that way," he smiled. I ruffled up his hair as I walked back over to my desk chair. 

"What's up?" I asked as he flopped onto the foot of my bed. 

"What were you thinking about before I interrupted?" He ignored my question. 

"Huh? Oh nothing." 

"You're lying, I saw your face. You had that weird little expression that you only have when you're deep in thought." He knows me way too well.

I sighed, knowing he would get it out of me eventually. "Just school." 

"Nothing's gonna change, Char. You know that." 

"I know, but it's not like middle school or junior high, this is high school. This is the real deal. What if you get a girlfriend?" 

"You come first over any girl any day. You know this. If she has a problem with you or our friendship, then she's gone. Simple as that." He made it sound so easy.

"Four more days," I remarked. 

"Yeah, let's not talk about it. Let's go do something fun, summer's ending." 

"Okay," I agreed. 

I called to my parents letting them know what I was doing as we walked to the front door. 

    ~•~ ~•~ ~•~ ~•~ ~•~ ~•~ ~•~ ~•~ ~•~

"What about this?" I asked Benny, holding up a light blue casual dress. It was the day before school started and I couldn't pick out my outfit. 

"Yes definitely that," he agreed. He looked slightly relieved. 

"You were just gonna say that to whatever I held up next, weren't you?" I narrowed my eyes at him. 

His eyes shifted, not meeting mine. 

I put the dress back into my closet. Just as I was about to tackle Benny to the floor, my dad entered my room. 

"Hey sweetie," he said to me, nodding at Benny, "the team is coming over tonight for a end-of-summer cookout. They'll be here around 6, so expect it." My dad was the high school football coach, so he will occasionally have the whole team over for dinners or after games. 

I waited until he had left the room and walked back down the hallway before turning back to Benny. "Please stay with me while the team is here," I begged him. 

"You know I can't. My mom would kill me if I miss the end of summer traditions. I'm sorry Char." 

"Ugh okay fine. You should get going though, it's almost 5 already." 

"I would really rather be with you and the team. And you know how much it hurts me to say that," Benny sympathized. The only thing Benny hated more than the high school football team was his family's end of summer bash that his mom and aunts put on, but he was forced to attend, no matter what. 

He stood up and hugged me before heading to my window. "Good luck!" He called out before jogging in the direction of his house. 

I grabbed my phone and started scrolling through Instagram until I heard a bunch of guys yelling down the hall, meaning my dad had to have started cooking. I changed into some ripped jean shorts and a plain grey cropped top before leaving my room. 

"They're here" I texted Benny as I walked into the kitchen. 

"You're not going to die" he joked back. I slide my phone into my back pocket.

I looked up to see a few guys going out to join the rest of the team on the back patio through the sliding glass doors. I didn't know many of the players. My dad tried to keep the team away from me, for fear of one of them breaking my heart. But football players weren't my type and I was never one to date. 

I stepped out to the backyard, wanting some food. A few of the guys looked at me and nudged their buddies, but I paid no attention. I grabbed a bottle of water from the cooler sitting next to the house as I walked to my dad. 

As I waited for my dad to grill a burger for me, I glanced around my backyard. The whole place was littered with sweaty guys. I noticed one guy staring at me out of the corner of my eye. I glanced over and we made eye contact. His eyes were glued to mine. I had no clue who he was.