Chapter 25 - Poison

Marcus's POV

Alissa and I attended the royal engagement today. I was giving a speech while Alissa was watching me.

When I looked at Alissa, I noticed that her face was pale. Her hand rested on her stomach while she was grabbing the corner of the table. I got worried. I tried to continue giving my speech without taking my eyes off Alissa.

Fortunately, her bodyguard was next to her. He must have noticed that she didn't feel fine as well. So he approached her.

"Ahh." She screamed in pain, her hand on her stomach. I looked at her, stopping giving my speech. My heart was pounding in fear while I was staring at her, frozen.

Suddenly, Alissa fainted. Instantly I rushed towards her. As I approached her, the bodyguard stepped back, letting me approach Alissa. I bent down beside her and placed her head on my lap.

"Alissa!" I exclaimed in panic while stroking her hair.

I scooped her up in my arms quickly. When I was about to carry her out of the venue, my private secretary, Alfred approached me.

"Your Highness, but you can not leave now. Your speech?" Alfred intervened.

I gave him a death glare. Does he really think that I give a damn shit to it while my pregnant wife feels bad? He stopped and stepped back as he gave me an apologetic look.

I was pacing back and forth in front of the hospital room while the doctor was checking up Alissa. My hands were cold. I felt nervous and scared.

"Marcus, calm down! Nothing will happen to them." My father said, giving me a reassuring look.

"Your father is right. Don't worry. They will be fine." My mother commented.

"I hope so." I mumbled, running my hand through my hair and breathed deeply, trying to calm down.

As the doctor walked out of the room, I approached her.

"How are they?" I asked, frightened.

"They are fine now, but..." She paused and took a deep breath. I gulped in fear. "There is some risk. She should lie down as much as possible. She must be so careful in her first trimester." She informed. "And I told Her Highness that she has to not to take other drugs without a doctor's permission. We found another dangerous medicine in her blood test. Taking these medicines for a long time is bad for pregnant women. It can cause miscarriages. But she told me that she didn't take those medicines." She added.

I gave her a puzzled look.

"I don't understand. You say that someone...." I mumbled, confused, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Yes, Your Highness. If she didn't take them, so...Fortunately, we found out about it before the medicine affected her." She informed.

When I looked at my parents, they were staring at each other, full of worry in their eyes. Most probably, they were thinking the same things that I was thinking.

I turned my gaze from them to the doctor and asked. "Could I see Alissa?"

"Yes, Your Highness." She nodded, giving me a polite smile.

"Thank you." I said and went to the hospital room in quick steps.

"Bambi!" I exclaimed and approached her.

"Marcus." She mumbled as tears ran down her cheeks.

I sat down beside her on the bed and hugged her tightly. She must have gotten so scared. She was already so emotional because of her pregnancy hormones.

"Shh. Calm down, bambi. Both of you are fine. Don't worry." I reassured her while hugging her tightly and stroked her hair gently.

"The doctor said..." She mumbled as she pulled back slightly while tears were still running down her cheeks. "They found some medicines in my blood. But I swear I didn't take them. I would never do anything to harm my baby." She pleaded, placing her hand on her stomach protectively.

"I know, bambi. I never thought that you would do any risky things that could harm our baby." I confessed, giving her a tender smile and stroked her cheek.

I never thought that she could do anything harmful to our baby. Since we found out about our baby, she had looked after herself and our baby so much. She followed the doctor's advice one by one. She was already so protective of our baby.

"We know it, dear. Don't worry." My mother commented softly.

"Of course, Alissa. We know very well how protective you are towards your baby." My father agreed. "But it seems we should be more careful about my grandchild's and your safety." My father added, giving me a knowing look. I nodded, looking at him.

"Someone put it on my drink or food?" Alissa mumbled as her eyes widened in fear.

I bit my lower lip and nodded. "Most probably." I mumbled.

Her face got pale as she pressed her hand against her stomach protectively. I sighed sadly and placed my hand on top of her hand on her stomach.

"Don't worry. I will not let anyone hurt you nor our baby." I promised.

"How? They have already gotten inside the palace. If I didn't feel bad today, they would manage to..." She didn't finish her sentence as she started crying again.

"Shh. Calm down, bambi. I promise you. Since today, I will not let you be alone for a second. I will increase the securities. We will be more careful." I reassured her as I pulled her into my chest and hugged her tightly.

"Don't worry, Alissa. I will get involved personally with your safety." My father stated.

Alissa nodded, leaning his head against my chest. I smiled and wiped her tears off her cheek with my thumb. I placed a soft kiss on her hair.

****

I was talking to my father in the study room. He told me that he increased the securities. Moreover, he ordered the maids to control Alissa's food and drinks and be careful while making her meals. He told me that he gave an order to the security chief to find who had put those medicines in Alissa's food and drinks. The securities checked the maids as well, but they hadn't found anything yet. But to be careful, my father ordered that Marissa, our most loyal maid, made Alissa's food and drinks.

After talking to my father, I went to my room. Alissa was resting there. The doctor told us that Alissa should be so careful in her first trimester and lie down as much as possible.

When I walked in, Alissa was laying on the bed while stroking her stomach gently.

"Bambi, are you okay?" I asked affectionately as I approached her.

"Yes, we are fine." She replied, giving me a slight smile while resting her hand on her stomach.

I smiled and sat down beside her on the bed. I leaned over and kissed her lips. Then I leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her stomach, placing my hand on her stomach. She stroked my hair gently.

I leaned against the headboard and pulled Alissa into my chest by wrapping my arm around her shoulder. She smiled and rested her head on my shoulder. I placed my hand on her belly and stroked it gently as I placed a soft kiss on her hair, breathing in her scent. She smiled and nuzzled up against me.