Chapter 9

Later that day, we left the hotel and began driving again.

“Where are we even going?” I whined. We’d been sitting in the car for over 17 hours with 2 minute breaks every 6 hours or so to pee and get food.

“I'm taking us to texas.” He replied keeping his eyes on the road. He was holding my hand as he drove and would occasionally rub his thumb over my knuckles.

“Ooh, are we going to go horseback riding and bull riding and everything?” I rambled. I loved Texas and I always wanted to go but never had the chance.

“If you want we can go horseback riding but we’re not getting on a bull.” He laughed. He turned his head towards me and his smile was wide.

“Can I ride a pony?” My excitement was overflowing and I couldn't wait to get to Texas.   

“Whatever you want, you shall have.” He said with an english accent. He brought my hand up to his lips and laid a gentle kiss on it.   

“Oh good sir! What a gentleman you are!” I laughed and kissed his cheek. I loved when we were like this, even through the bad we were perfect with one another, and i didn’t think anything could ruin that.

Until we got to Texas.

************************************************************

I drove past the sign “Welcome to Texas” and screamed in excitement.

“WE”RE HERE! Oh my gosh! IT’S BEAUTIFUL!” I wiped a non-existent tear from my eye and continued driving.

Derek laughed and pointed towards a road, “Turn left here.”

I quickly whipped the turn and made Derek crash into the passengers door. “Jeez, remind me to never let you drive ever again. You’re a terrible driver!” He laughed as he held onto the handle above his head.

“Hey! I’m not that bad.” I defended. At least, I didn’t think I was.

“Uh yeah, you are.” He chuckled. He let go of my hand and pointed at the wheel. “Keep both hands on the wheel please. I don’t feel like dying today.” He let go of the handle and held onto the door.

I rolled my eyes and glanced at him before i looked back at the road. “I'm not that bad!” I placed my hands on the steering wheel and continued driving. I pouted and didn’t speak, giving him the silent treatment.

“Are you ignoring me?”

No reply.

“April!” He sang out. I ignored him.

“I’m sorry, baby. You’re not that bad of a driver. Just talk to me!”

Once again I ignored him. He pouted and huffed like a baby that didn’t get their way.

I bursted out laughing, unable to keep the laughter in.

“You’re forgiven. Mostly.” I looked over to him and stuck my tongue out.

He leaned forward quickly and caught my tongue with his mouth.

“Ew! Derek!” I jerked away. “You’re gross!” He laughed wildly, clutching his stomach.

“Bet you won't stick your tongue out at me again.” He smirked and thought he won. Oh how wrong he was.

When our laughter died down he grabbed the cup of water that was in the cup holder and began drinking it. Seeing my chance to get him back I stepped on the brakes and made him spill the water all over himself.

“April! Are you kidding me?!” He yelled, shocked by the cold water. I reached over and turned the air conditioner on full blast. “APRIL!” He yelled again, more furious than the last time. Laughing I pulled over and reached for a towel -that i stole from the hotel- from the backseat.