Chapter Forty-Six

Songs for this chapter:
• Treacherous - Taylor Swift

Chapter Forty-Six:

Lexi's POV

I'm an emotional, sobbing mess when I sit back down on my bed in my room.

I wish that I never saw him and Camila kiss in the first place. I wish he just hid it from me, truthfully.

I regret going outside to talk to him, even though it finally forced me to say the words to him that I've needed to say for months now.

I'm doing my best to cry silently, pressing my face into my hands to try and muffle my sobs.

It's a lousy attempt because Jasmine sits up in her bed, woken up by the emotional crisis I seem to be having over here.

"Lexi? What's wrong?" she asks me, standing up off her bed and walking over to sit next to me instead.

She wraps her arm around my shoulder and it tears my heart to shreds as I think about how many times Bryce has comforted me in this same way.

I finally get a grip of myself long enough to say something despite the hot tears still flowing down my cheeks.

"Bryce and I just agreed to be only friends. We agreed that there can't be anything romantic between us anymore, and he didn't even fight me on it," I tell her, recalling how easily Bryce complied to my wishes.

She suddenly scoots away from me, her eyebrows shooting up in surprise.

"What do you mean? He said yes to that? That can't be right . . ." she starts, seeming as if her mind is racing.

"What do you mean, Jazzy? Do you know something that I don't?" I ask her, and her immediate reaction is to quickly shake her head.

"No . . . I just . . . He seriously just gave up on you guys? But . . ." she trails off, before getting up from her seat, rummaging through the mess of sheets on her bed before she finds her phone.

"Where is he right now? I have to go talk to him," she then asks me as she tries to step out the door, typing something on her phone.

I quickly grab her wrist, causing her to halt in her tracks.

"Please, Jasmine? Just leave this to me. I can deal with it myself. It's just a little bit of high school heartbreak, right? I mean, everyone experiences it so I can probably just get over myself."

She frowns at me, obeying my wishes by sitting back down down on her bed.

I give her a grateful smile before standing up, adjusting the straps of my tank top and grabbing my room key off of the bed beside me.

"I'm sorry I woke you up, but there's no need to worry about me. I'm just going to go splash my face with some cold water and then I'll be back. You can go to sleep," I tell her, and she gives me a frustrated frown, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands.

It smudges some of the eyeliner that she hasn't bothered to take off, but she lays back down in bed, rolling her eyes at me.

"Okay, but I'm not letting this go," she says with a yawn, and I nod to her as I step out of the room.

I walk all the way down the hallway to where the bathrooms are, which involves me passing the main stairwell. A shadowy figure seated on the top stair catches my eye, and I recognize that's it's Bryce's back that I'm staring at straight away.

"Bryce? Why aren't you in your room?" I ask him, walking over to see that he's staring blankly at the ground in front of him.

He ignores me even as I walk over to sit down beside him, and I'm growing more and more concerned by the minute.