Chapter 42

'Marc!' We burst into his office, in no mood to wait around. I don't actually see much except for a quick glance at Randy hidden behind the Alpha, who is facing us with a dangerous glint in his eyes. It's clear we interrupted something.

Neither me nor Raph dare move for the moment. The air is full of tension as no on even so much as twitches. My eyes are trained on the Alpha's face, careful not to connect to his eyes, and my hand is securely around Raph's wrist.

It's only when I see Randy's hand on Marc's arm that he closes his eyes, takes a deep breath and eventually relaxes his stature, but when Randy goes to step around him, Marc's hand comes around quicker than I can even compute to stop his mate from doing so. His protectiveness over Randy is ridiculously massive and I never experienced it before, so we will have to tread very carefully now.

'What do you want?'

I can tell he's still strung, so I don't move any closer, staying where I am.

'Someone was watching us by the lake.' I say immediately.

'What?' Marc's voice is sharp, almost angry.

'Just now. We came straight here. It wasn't anyone from the pack either, it must have been one of the scouts.'

He lets out an almost annoying sounding sigh.

'I can't do anything about that, you know that. Not now. They have the right to snoop, if we mention this, they will put a tighter leash on us as well.'

'Marc, let's get them out now.' I say pleadingly.

Raph next to me stiffens up, I can see him looking at me out of the corner of my eyes, but I don't turn to him.

'We can't push it anymore. They'll get suspicious eventually, it's better to do it now.'

'We can't.'

'But we're wasting time!' The moment the agitated words leave my mouth I know I've made a mistake. The room is dead silent and Raph's hand is around my wrist now instead. I keep my eyes ahead of me, feeling the dangerous tension in the room and I know I'm only alive because Randy intervened. He has both hands on his mate's arm, but the Alpha's muscles are tense and his face full of fury. I don't even dare breathe as I await what comes next.

'Get. Out.' He barely manages to articulate with his teeth pressed together and bared.

We don't immediately move, both Raph and I only taking small steps at a time backwards, never turning our backs to the Alpha and never making a hasty move.

The door shuts out the tension with a quiet click and I breathe out. We don't waste any time dawdling around and leave immediately. Right now, we shouldn't be even remotely close to the Alpha, so we decide to head home for now, our proper home.

'What were you thinking?!' Raph eventually sneers at me.

'I wasn't.' I say quietly. I know I was being stupid, but I couldn't help myself. Sometimes, being friends with the Alpha makes it hard to hold back when I have to.

'No shit. He could have killed you. He completely lost it in there.'

He is pacing now, up and down right in front of me in the middle of the woods.

'Calm down, it's fine.' I try to stop him from aimlessly marching and actually finishing the way home when he suddenly turns towards me.

'No, it's not fucking fine! I couldn't have protected you, we talked about this! What the fuck were you thinking trying to challenge an Alpha like that!'