Chapter 22 - Mine

Scarlett

"Are you gonna keep dancing around him? Or are you actually going to stop this madness and be with your mate Red?"

I turn to face Julian, his gaze serious as he leans against the door to my office.

"What are you talking about Julian?" I murmur, not really in the mood to discuss this. Romain was seriously injured in a attack on the territory, under sedation for the time being...he's going to recover, but it's only a sharp reminder that my pack is preparing for war...

"I'm talking about the fact that you and Raphael have been eyeing each other for over a week, and you still haven't done anything other than have short conversations and share hungry looks..."

"And your point?" I reply stiffly, and he huffs.

"Don't pretend with me Red, I know damn well you two are mates...each other's second chances, it's no secret. Half the pack knows about you two..." He answers, and I groan internally.

Shit...is it that noticeable?

"Anytime you two are in a room together, you at each other like you want to jump each other right there....audience be damned. Obvious is an understatement..." He shakes his head, and I try to keep his words from influencing my already heated thoughts...

"It's not that simple Julian..."

"Not always, but in your case it is..." He counters.

"He's a former member of Sanguis Silence Jules, I can't just automatically trust him because of a mate bond...especially not right now..."

"You know very well that he isn't a spy, you've seen his fire mage abilities. He's a hybrid Red, and that pack would never work with hybrid. Besides, Phoebe has confirmed everything that he's told us is true..."

"Still, his pack may not know he's a hybrid...and Phoebe's visions aren't always accurate..." I argue, and he shakes his head.

"A pitiful excuse..."

"No, it's not." I argue, and his eyes narrow.

"Yes it is. It's not the real reason you're keeping your distance."

"Yes it-"

"Damn it Scarlett! Enough is enough! He's your mate for Goddesses sake! What the hell are you waiting for?!" He exclaims, his irritated voice shocking me. He's never yelled at me before...

I don't think I like it.

"Red...I know your afraid of getting hurt again, afraid of putting your heart out there only to have it broken...but you can't let that stop you from being happy...from being with the mate that wants to be with you and give you love." He murmurs, and my angry rebuttal dies on my tongue...

"You deserve to be happy, you've put everyone else's needs before yours since you became Alpha...it's time you let yourself have what you want..." He continues softly, and his sincere...touching words take me by surprise. Where's the lighthearted prankster I work with? The one that never takes anything seriously?

"It's not the time Jules...with our pack being threatened-"

"That's exactly why it is the time...Romain nearly died, none of us know when our time is up...we shouldn't waste it by trying to wait for the perfect moment..." His face briefly fills with sadness, and I remember all to well how he knows this...his own parents. He walks up to me and places a hand on my shoulder, his eyes meeting mine.