Chapter 42: "Something special."

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

"Can you believe it? Our last prom is here!" Bree exclaims, squirming in the cushioned bar stool with a back. As the makeup artist puts on the final touches on our looks, the hair stylist slips the last Bobby pin into place. An intricate braid was sashed across the top of my head and pulled my curled hair into a bun.

Bree had insisted that we hire a makeup artist and hair stylist since this was our last prom. Go big or go home were her exact words.

"Come on, let's go get dressed!" Bree grabs my hand that's resting on the armrest and tugs me out of the chair, nearly falling to the ground.

As I smooth out the last wrinkle, I check myself out in the mirror, twirling as I admire the sequins on my dress. I wore a champagne colored mermaid dress with a V-neck that showed some cleavage. I also had on silver jewels that dangled down from my ears that matched my dress.

I met up with Bree and we immediately started to admire each other's dress. Bree also had on a sequined mermaid dress with a deep V-neck, except hers started with a midnight blue color at the top, then faded into a rose gold color at the bottom.

"Damn, we look good," I exclaim and we both chuckle. I grab my phone from the bed and we pose in front of the body mirror, sitting against the wall in my room.

Then, Bree's phone chimes off, "Oh, the guys are here!" Just then, a knock comes from the front door. We snatch up our clutch bags and head out into the hallway.

"Come in! You boys look dashing!" I hear my mom compliment from downstairs. Bree chuckles as I wince in embarrassment. Bree loops her arm with mine and we slowly walk down the hallway before making it to the top of the staircase.

My eyes immediately locked with Andrew's and my stomach started doing triple backflips. He's waiting in his navy blue suit with a cute black bow around his neck along with Bryan a few feet to the side. Admiration and astonishment invaded his dark eyes as a smile drew across his cheeks.

A N D R E W D A L T O N

As soon as I heard the clicking of heels on the wooden floor from above, euphoria shot through my veins. I was about to take Shortcake to our last prom, and this time, I wouldn't fuck it up.

Shortcake and Bree came out from hiding behind the wall, and my whole being instantly lit up. I drink her appearance from head-to-toe, and I swear my heart stopped beating for a second because of how fast it was working. I drew in a quiet breath as her eyes were glued to mine the entire time she walked down the stairs.

As she takes her last step down, she makes her way towards me and I pull her into my chest by her waist. Her close presence sends warmth all over my body. 

"Hey, baby," I whispered, placing a soft peck on those full lips, a tingle on my lips. "You look fucking gorgeous."

A blush creeps onto her cheeks. "Look at you, my handsome boy," she coos, observing me from head to toe.

"Oh, honey." We turn our heads towards Shortcake's mom. Unshed tears cloud her eyes as she covers her mouth with her hands, "You look beautiful, Sophie."

Shortcake walks over to her mom and gives her a tight embrace, "Thanks, momma."

"Where did the time go? You're all grown up," her mom replies as they separate. She wipes away a tear that threatened to spill on her cheeks. "Don't let me hold you all back. Have fun, baby." She strokes Shortcake's arm, and they hug one more time.

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

After taking a few pictures, we exited through the front door. Outside waiting for us was a limo and the driver waiting in front of the door. He opened the door and gestured for us to go in. The leather seats were incredibly soft, and the lights flickered from one color to another. A port was plugged in beside the stereo, and Bree plugged in her phone. She chose her playlist filled with upbeat pop songs, and we poured water into the fancy champagne glasses that were seated neatly in front of us.

Finally, we arrived at the venue. Many golden, white, and black balloons were bundled together to form an arch over the entrance, and a red carpet was rolled out.

"Shall we?" Andrew held his arm out towards me. I chuckled and looped my arm with his as we strolled up the stairs and through the balloon arch.

"No wonder the tickets were so expensive. This place is fancy as fuck," Andrew states bluntly as he glances around. I chuckle as I take in the scene

Loud music blared from the speakers and a rush of cool air brushed across my skin. A disco ball twirling from the center of the room was the only source of light, along with a few colored spotlights. Many teens were hammering it up, waving their hands in the air while dancing against one another.

Suddenly, a hand lands on my shoulder, "Hey, stranger." I spin around and meet a smiley Max. To the side of him stands a girl with curled fawn hair and an indigo strapless dress. Her hazel eyes have flecks of gold in them, and she has deep dimples as she greets us with a smile.

"Hey man," Andrew said.

They give each other a bro hug with a pat on the back and Max carries on, "Guys, this is Maddie."

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," she greets warmly.

Andrew leans towards Max and whispers in his ear, "Dude, is this your cousin?" Luckily, Maddie doesn't hear Andrew's rude joke, but I do. I elbow him in the side as I shoot him a glare, and he winces with a grunt.

"Hey, do you go to Oakleaf? I don't think I've seen you around before," I question.

"No, I go to Brickwood. It's only a couple miles away from Oakleaf though," she replies. For the next ten minutes, we chat, and Maddie told me that Max and she met at a party thrown by Jacob before our dates whisked us away.

"We'll see you around, Sophie," Max states before pulling Maddie into the sea of people. The sight of Max and Maddie together warmed my heart. Call it an intuition or a vision but talking with Maddie for just that short span of minutes made me realize that she's the one for Max, even if they don't know it yet.

"Hey, where'd you go?" I turn my head and meet Andrew's beautiful eyes.

"I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I have a feeling those two have something special," I respond, looking at the crowd of people that Max and Maddie have disappeared into.

"Just like us, Shortcake." He leans down and places a tender kiss on my cheek.

"Come on, let's go and have some fun," he smirks.

_______________________________

Hello everyone! I didn't plan on matching Max and Maddie's names, it just sort of happened! The next chapter will be kind of long, but filled with lots of cute and dramatic moments!

Thank you all so much for reading! I realllyyy appreciate it! ❤️❤️

See you in the next chapter! ~Karlee 💛