14

"You coming to church with me?" Mum asked, waking me up.

I groaned. "I suppose so."

I hadn't been to church since being at uni, and I guess I kinda missed it. I wasn't the strongest of Christians, but I still believed and always felt better after going to church.

"You'll get to meet the new vicar." Mum said, smiling.

"Oh yeah!" I exclaimed. "What's her name again?"

"Stella." Mum said.

"Is she nice?" I asked.

"She is nice. Seems very sweet."

"Good good. I wonder if she plans on staying longer than the other vicars."

Mum chuckled. "I hope so. She seems nicer than the others, that's for sure."

We'd always had nice vicars that came to the village, but then they always left after a couple of years. I guess a lot of them did that, but it would be nice to have one who stayed.

I got dressed and then hopped in the car to go to church.

__________

When we arrived, we were a little early. Still, the woman, who I assumed was the vicar, was at the front organising the table. She turned and smiled when she saw us come in.

"Good morning!" She said, a cheerful smile on her face. She had dark ringlets brushing her face as she walked towards us, cut short just along her jawline.

"Morning!" Mum said. The woman came right up to us.

"I don't believe we've met?" She said, still smiling.

"This is my daughter, Millie." Mum said.

I smiled. "Nice to meet you."

"And you! My name is Stella." She said. "So you're at university?"

I nodded. "Yes, at Greenwich."

"Oh, its really lovely up there, is it not?"

"It is." I couldn't help but smile at this woman.

"Actually, seeing as you're here, I don't suppose you could come and help me with something?" Stella asked, looking at me and not my mum.

"Sure." I said, after a moments hesitation, and followed her into the back room of the church.

The moment my mum was out of earshot, she turned and started talking as she prepared some stuff.

"So an Argent Eye, huh?" She asked.

I was taken aback. For a moment, I just stood there, unsure what to say or how to react. "I, uh... what?"

Stella chuckled. "Your unusually bright eyes kinda gave it away at first, not to mention the fact that one is silver."

"Oh." I said, still not sure what to say.

"I have to say, I didn't think I'd ever actually get the chance to meet another one."

"Another one?" I asked.

"Yes." Stella said, counting out the communal wafers onto a silver plate. "My mother was one."

"Really?" My eyes widened. "So you're an Heir?"

Stella turned, and with that, one of her brown eyes flashed silver for a moment. I gasped. "That's so cool!" I exclaimed.

She smiled. "My mother told me all about the stories and everything else about the Argents. I never thought that I would ever meet another one besides her!"