Chapter 9

It takes me 5 more days before I can sit up without any assistance thanks to the Flakka which had yet to leave my body entirely. Having been relying on liquid nutrition for the entire time that I was unconscious, I've lost enough weight that I'm concerned that I might not be able to move the way I used to when I was heavier.

"If you continue to frown like that you'll end up with wrinkles way before our baby is born," Alexander tease me as he enters the hospital room with Danny taking wobbly steps beside him most likely gripping onto Alexander for dear life. "Look who's here to see you."

My face almost splits in half from how big my smile is as Danny makes babbling noises as though responding to Alexander to which the man winces when he lets out an obnoxiously loud squeal of excitement, stopping in his tracks to demand to be picked up.

I can't help but laugh when Alexander practically dumps Danny onto my hospital bed before backing away to grab the visitor's foldable chair in the corner. Once he realises that he's close enough to touch me, Danny launches himself from his spot near my feet into my chest, knocking the wind out of my lungs while his father makes a sound of distress which sounds something along the lines of 'The baby!'.

"I missed you too Danny," I murmur into his head as he hugs me tightly. "Don't worry. I'm not going to go anywhere any time soon...I don't think Daddy would even allow me to be alone in the compound."

"Considering what happened the last time I did that, I would say that Shino Ootori would agree with me," Alexander tells me, looking pointedly at my curved belly. "Speaking of Ootori, he's going to drop by later in the day to see you. If there's anyone on this planet that can convince him to lighten up on Logans, it would be you or his wife. Don't get me wrong I hate the man as much as he does but he's taking it to a whole new level of malice."

Recalling what Shino said just before the sedative worked on me, I sigh heavily at the thought of my mentor blaming himself for my predicament. After all, the reason I ended up meeting Logans in my childhood was because of my self-righteousness not because he presented the option.

Two little hands on my face break me out of my thoughts drawing my attention to Danny who has a questioning look on his face as though understanding that I'm upset. Alexander chuckles at his son, patting his head lovingly which makes my heart warm and distracts Danny.

"Does this mean you like children now?" I ask Alexander teasingly, causing the two of them to turn to me at the sound of my voice. "Considering we have another one coming, I'm hoping you wouldn't call this child an 'it' like you did Danny before I came it your life."

Alexander shakes his head at me in amusement, cupping the side of my face with his palm. The warmth of his hand has me instinctively leaning into his touch, closing my eyes to relish in the comfort he provides for me. My heart flutters when his thumb traces my lower lip causing my eyes to spring open in curiosity.

"There has never been a moment where I disliked children," He tells me, leaning forward to close the distance between us. "I just have no idea how to raise them. Example one is sitting on your legs right now."

His last sentence has a burst of laughter escaping from me though my laughter is cut short by a harsh wince as my ribs smart from the quick inhalation and exhalation that laughing requires.

The pain passes quickly so I am able to stop Alexander from calling for a doctor by grabbing his wrist just as he leaves his seat. Shaking my head at him, Alexander reluctantly sits back down to which Danny ambles his way over to his father wanting to sit on his lap now.

Obligating to his son's wishes, Alexander allows the little boy to rest his head on his shoulder prompting Alexander to begin a soothing patting rhythm that lulls Danny into a light slumber. Triumphantly, Alexander holds up his hand to let me know that he'll be back in five minutes as he leaves his seat to put Danny into a cot.

Leaning against the plethora of pillows in contentment, I smile to myself in wonderment. From a man who didn't know processes baby food can't be eaten that often by babies to a man who took care of the previously said baby for months on end and is currently triumphant that he's able to put his baby to sleep.

I can't help but feel he stepped up to being a father because of me but I can't exactly take all the credit because he chose to do so because I was running away from him.

And now I'm pregnant with his second child, I shake my head amusedly. Had anyone told me I'd be ending my year pregnant, I would have told them to get a mental health check done.

"It's nice to see an emotion on your face that isn't indifference, my dear," Shino chuckles, entering the hospital room with a grin plastered on his face. "Don't be fooled child by this smile, I am extremely furious at you. I just can't help but smile because you are alright."

"Thank you, sensei," I bow slightly. "I don't know what I would have done had you not come to my aid."

"I do not even want to think about that," he shudders, taking a seat on Alexander's vacant chair. "Do you know the gender yet?"

"No, not yet," I mumble, wondering if that's possible at this time and point. "I'm waiting for Alexander to tell me whether or not he wants to know."

Shaking his head at me, Shino takes my hand in his staring rather seriously, "If he doesn't then I will want to know the gender regardless."

For a moment, the two of us sit there in the hospital room just smiling at each other. The door to the hospital room creeks open and a face I did not expect to see peeks into the room which instantly has my smile disappearing.

Adam...