Chapter Fourteen: Yes, It is My Job

I had exactly two days of not seeing Clarke. I had Monday off work to make up for working Thursday. Monday was supposed to be a day of catching up on my studies but it wasn't that simple. I couldn't get Clarke out of my head. I was backtracking on my weekend and over the couple of months I had now known Clarke, trying to pinpoint what exactly was the reason I had slept with him. Was there even a reason? Did there need to be a reason?

I think because it was Clarke Watson I needed there to be a reason. There couldn't just be no reason with him. I hadn't just met him one night in club and had a one-night stand, that wasn't it at all. So what the hell was it? Like Ava said it probably wasn't hate sex. I didn't hate him, I knew that already. Did I have underlying for feelings for him that I just hadn't realised yet? No, not romantic feelings. I wasn't secretly in love with him that's for sure. I was attracted to him though...yes that I knew, I couldn't deny that anymore. If you took away his personality his looks were my ideal guy. There was still more to it than thought though, I felt it.

Tuesday I had classes most of the day, and whilst I tried my hardest to concentrate, it was just another day of my inability to get Clarke out of my head. I wasn't having new or different thoughts about it though. I had the same few running through my brain constantly, just going in a never ending circle, it was awful.

By the time Wednesday came around I was starting to think I just had to accept it. I was in denial to a certain extent. I couldn't accept I would do something like sleep with my boss, but I had, so maybe accepting it help. That thought got my through my morning class at least, but Wednesday was my half day of work day, so when I walked into the office that afternoon my mind started to run around again.

Just walking pass the front desk I felt like they were watching me, judging me, like somehow they knew, even though that wasn't possible. Oh god, what if Karen knew. I knew she didn't but I hated to think what awful things she would think about, she didn't like him at all.

"Ah, Rory, always on time."

Karen was sitting at the desk, smiling up at me. Karen was in her late fifties and had been married for twenty-five of them and had two kids who were both done with college. Sometimes she was like my New York mother, always taking care of me when I needed her. I could literally call her if I needed anything and she'd be there. She had short brown hair which she dyed to hide the greys as she would tell me, and wore thin framed classes on her heart-shaped face. Her age didn't show nearly as badly as she thought it did.

"Of course, I know it's probably been a busy couple of days," I said her, sucking back my worry of her knowing anything about what had happened.

"Well yes indeed," she nodded at me. "Looks like the kid didn't do too badly in Paris then? I've been looking over the deal this morning. They've been negotiating numbers since yesterday but looks like a contract will be the next thing sent over."

"Well, that's great news," I smiled slightly, "and...I know we've both doubted him, Karen. You should've seen him in Paris though. He wasn't the Clarke he is here. He was professional and smart...I mean, this deal is good."

Holy shit, did I just complement Clarke willingly?

"It is," Karen agreed. "I'm happy for him. I hope he keeps it up. Right, well I have to go. If they send the contracts through they need to get signed and send off ASAP, yeah? Legal specifically should be first, it'll make the process faster."

"Yes, Karen I know how to make sure a deal goes through," I mocked her slightly. "Now go home."

Karen left after a few more reminders on what do. I think she wanted to keep Clarke's momentum up, and the best way to do that was to make sure everything went smoothly, which I was able to do when the contract was sent through only half an hour after she left. I realised I hadn't even seen Clarke and I also realised he wasn't in his office. I remembered I had glanced at his schedule before I left and he had meeting with board. He was probably still there, they would've wanted to look that deal over from top to bottom.