Chapter 21 - The One and Only

Isabelle's P.O.V 

      Light blaze of yellow beams through the window. Gazing at everything in its way, I notice the enlargement my stomach has gotten. Tracing my fingers over my highlighted bump, I can't help but think of Ryder or dream about how things could be: Playing around in the yard with our little girl, having the family I've always wanted despite everything that has happened, and being able to wake up with him. I hate that I complained about it before now that I don't have him. But it also got me thinking what if he doesn't ever come back: Sitting around watching my baby grow up, alone, and working so hard to do anything and everything to make sure she has everything, alone. And out of all the possibilities that one stuck. That one haunts me every night and makes me wish I had never changed my mind, wish that I never I let myself love him. I hate him for it. 

          I ruffle my hair and give a light shake to my head. Shaking myself of my thoughts, I attempt getting out of bed. After removing the covers, I attempt to get up. Backaches have been really apparent since weighing an extra twenty pounds, more or less. So between work, school and simple tasks, in general, they ache like a thousand bee stings triggered to one spot. Speaking of work, the last week since I have had the job, I got to know my coworkers some more. Detra was a lot of help getting me home some nights when mom and Amity were too busy. Lily, too, has been helpful. She's strict nonetheless, but she makes sure I'm okay, occasionally checks up on me. I do more inventory and serve when I feel better. It's been a great distraction. 

         Today being Saturday, I work a full 8-hour shift. Lunch and dinner rushes weren't particularly my favorite, but they do tip well. Putting on my uniform and washing the look of death off my face, I wait for Amity to come. Luckily it was the end of spring break, which again I spent most of picking baby names, working, or doing extra homework, so Amity was no longer too busy to drive me to work. 

        Finally getting to see Amity after an entire week, I rush into the car and smother her in hugs, but more like bombard her with my large, protruding stomach. "How was Spain?" I ask, excited to hear anything that doesn't involve any responsibility.

         Giving me a devious smirk, she starts by saying,"Great! There was this boy, and I know Ethan, but we didn't do anything. He was just super fucking cute. Who knew Spanish boys were so hot? He had light blue eyes and light, dirty blonde hair and at least a couple inches taller than six feet. Don't even let me start on the about the beaches." She continues for the entire ride with stories with this Spanish boy that spoke broken English but it the most adorable way, apparently. Adventures on the coast of Spain with nothing to worry about other than wanting to be unfaithful to a boyfriend sounded better than my predicament. I don't know if I could be unfaithful; I don't even know whether I'm in a relationship or not. 

        After an amazing storytime, Amity had stopped the car. Seeing her tanned skin and hearing her mi was great to see for the moment I got to enjoy it, but I leave the car with a couple more hugs and kisses before walking into work. Work, oh how I dreaded the word. The ladies were wonderful. The customers not so much. And when I thought a school of high schoolers were judgemental, I have never spent the day with impatient customers over the age of fifty that see me as an irresponsible child having children of their own. I can't blame them but it was once and I can dare say that I won't ever do so again. One time and my life has changed forever. 

         Today, it was a lady sitting alone. She glares as she takes her order and slyly makes comments how she was married and had kids well after the age of 30. Suggesting I should've done the same, I wonder if the lady understands that there is no going back and no need for her to be judgemental. The least I'm doing is trying to provide for her; I can't say the same for her father.