Chapter 19

A few months later,
Montrose.

Clara and Isabelle had returned from their usual late afternoon stroll.

"Go on to the nursery, love. You've had enough of a break. You need to concentrate on your lesson or Lana is not going to be happy," Clara said to her daughter.

Isabelle nodded solemnly and raced up the stairs in an altogether unladylike manner.

Clara thought about reprimanding her, but then let it go. She knew it probably made her a bad parent, but there were times when she felt bad about the way the children of nobility were raised, especially the girls. Discipline could come later, she thought she should let Isabelle live a little. But only in the bounds of safety.

"Be careful," she called, unable to help herself.

"Alright," Isabelle hollered back, not reducing her speed.

Clara sighed.

She was tired and she wanted to be with her husband. Besides, she had something to tell him.

So she made her way to the west wing, only to hear from the John that her husband had left an hour back.

Then she found him in his room. Well, it was their room because Leo had forbidden her from sleeping in her room.

He was sitting on the floor, staring at a piece of crumpled paper. He didn't even look up when she entered.

She kneeled down next to him and touched his shoulder. He didn't respond except for extending the paper to her. She took it, her eyes not leaving his sullen face.

It read:

Dear son, I know that I haven't been a very good father. I know that you've had a terrible and lonely childhood. I want you to know that I'm solely responsible for that. I know you think that it's your mother, but it's not. There's a reason she had all those lovers. A few years after you were born, every time we had an argument, I would go out, get drunk and end up spending the night with a barmaid. Your mother found out about that and was never able to forgive me. Taking those scores of lovers was her idea of revenge. We loved each other, you see. But I made some mistakes I'm not proud of. I've learnt my lesson. She killed me little by little with each lover she took. She's gone now and I have no reason to live anymore. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us.
Yours only,
Fred

Clara looked up, not knowing how to react.

If she had to put it nicely, it seemed like her father in law and mother in law were quite simply idiots. And that was the nicest way she could put it. It was truly a wonder Leo had turned out sane.

Leo saw her expression and gave a short laugh.

"Quite messed up, eh?" he said, shaking his head.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"After this shocking revelation, you mean? I don't know if it's made anything better or worse. All my life, I'd thought that my mother was the one who'd strayed. Now I find out that both of them were unfaithful, primarily my father."

Clara didn't say anything.

"Don't look like that, it's nothing I assure you. The fact is that there was no love lost between my parents and I. Crane was the only actual family I had. Now it's you and Isabelle. And of course, our baby who's on the way," he smirked.

Clara's mouth fell open. How did he know?

"Why are you so surprised? I'm a physician, duchess. And I watch you more closely than you think. You tire easily and are more irate. Certain parts of you are lusher now. Besides, God knows how hard I've been working these last months to achieve this," he winked and she blushed.

"But I wanted to surprise you," she pouted.

"I wanted to surprise you too. That was why I was going through my trunks. To find my old rattle. Unfortunately, I ended up finding my father's suicide note," he shrugged.

Clara was touched.

"So you're pleased?"

"That I'm going to become a father again?"

"Again?"

"Isabelle.." he promoted.

"Then I'm going to become a mother again too," she smiled. And then, "well are you?"

"Of course, I'm happy, my love. I'm more than happy. I'm ecstatic."

She giggled and he pulled her to him.

Clara couldn't believe how lucky she was, she thought as she was sitting in the circle of Leo arms. She was married to the man she loved, she had a wonderful daughter and another baby on the way.

Also, after that debacle in London, things had pretty smoothly. In fact, Clara had a reading club named after her where all the ladies of the ton met for tea and conducted reading sessions of her books. Amy had written to her about it and said that there were some men who followed her club as well.

"Have you heard from Amelia?" Leo asked.

"Not recently, who do you ask?"

"It's just that I heard about some developments about her courtship with that mystery man?"

Leo and Clara had looked for the man that evening to thank him, but no one knew where he'd disappeared off to.

"You mean the one who spoke in my favour at the ball?" she gasped.

"The very one. Turns out he's the Marquess of Dorset."

"And a fine specimen of a man," Clara let out a low whistle.

"Did you just whistle?" Leo asked, disbelievingly.

Clara shrugged sheepishly.

"Very ladylike," he laughed.

"Also, did you just call him a fine specimen of a man?" He asked, his ever arrogant brow going up.

"I might have."

He went as if to hold her and then began to tickle her abruptly. Leo had discovered recently just how ticklish his wife was and how delightful it was when she squirmed under him.

She was squealing and screeching under him.

"I take it back," she gasped. "You're the only....male specimen...I'm interested in," she got out between gasps.

"That's better. And in case you're wondering, you're the only female specimen I'm interested in," he murmured as he carried her up in his arms.

                 ~~~ THE END~~~