Chapter 18: Meeting the family

"Salamu Alaikum" Fahad and I said as we entered his mum's parlor.

"Wa alaikum assalam" a cheerful voice said.

"Hajiya ina wuni(Good afternoon Hajiya)" I said as I bent down to greet her.

She quickly stopped me midway
"Welcome to the family my dear" she said as she hugged me.

"Hajiya ina wuni"Fahad greeted as he sat down.

"Lafiya Fahad" she said as she dragged me to a seat close by. She sat down and patted beside her
"Sit" she said still smiling wholeheartedly.
"So tell me, how was your trip?" she said as she leaned back and looked at me with adoration.

"Alhamdulillah" I replied shyly.

"Was everything fine? Food? Weather?"

"Alhamdulillah, everything was perfect, thanks to you Hajiya"

"Wait have you forgotten me Hajiya?" Fahad asked dramatically as he held his chest.

"Allow me abeg" she hissed.

"I thought I was your one and only"

She turned around and eyed him then looked at me
"I hope he didn't do anything wrong while you were there " she looked at both of us judgingly.

"Haba Hajiya" he said as he shifted, suddenly looking guilty. "Don't you trust me?"

"As a matter of fact, I don't"

"He didn't do anything Hajiya I promise " I said suddenly while looking at him.

"Okay" she said. "Mairo" she called out.

"Yes ma" a maid came in running.

"Go bring them drinks and food "

"Okay Ma"

"Fahad" his mum said sweetly all of a sudden.

"Na'am? (yes)"he asked cautiously.

"Can you bring me the family album"

"I knew you were going to ask for it " he said as he raised him hands up. "why would you embarrass me in front of my wife" he laughed.

"She's your wife" she said as she laughed. "After all what's there in giving her an idea of what her kids may look like"

He groaned and left.
Shortly after he immerged with the photo albums.
He slowly kept them in front of me.
"Let me go and look for my keys"

"Where are you running to?" She smirked.

"Uhh to look for my keys"

She looked down and stared at the keys he was holding.
"Okay" she said.
He quickly rushed out.

I opened the first photo album and saw a picture of a man that looked familiar holding a baby.
"Is this baba" I asked as I looked at her.

"Yeah" she sighed.

"I never got to convey my condolences to you Hajiya. Allah ya jikanshi(May Allah have mercy on him)"

"Ameen"

"He was a good man" I said.

"I always suspected that my husband was sick but because he always denied it, I let it go." She paused and looked down. "Whenever I asked of his whereabouts, his secretary would brush it off and tell me that he's in another country for another business trip."