Chapter 58: Double Hit

Becca

From the corner of my eye, I saw Cassie stand up on the bleachers, searching the swarm of people for Parker. I hugged my knees to my chest, the cold metal freezing my bare legs as I watched Brett across the field. He was hunched over with his team, his Coach standing at the head of the huddle.

With a huff, Cassie sat down and pulled out her phone. "Where is he ..." She mumbled to herself, angrily shutting her phone off and shoving it back in her pocket.

I took my eyes off Brett and nudged my shoulder against hers. "He'll be here," I assured her. I glanced towards the crowd and noticed a head of wild blonde curls. "See," I nodded towards the spot where Parker was standing, scanning the crowd for us. Cassie's face brightened as she stood up, screaming his name while she waved her arms over her head.

Chuckling, I turned my attention back to Brett. I couldn't help but admire everything about him as he stood there in his football gear. Now that he couldn't catch me and tease me for it, I let my eyes wander from his head to his arms and all the way down to his legs.

Tonight, you're mine. I felt my cheeks heat up as I wondered what he had in store for us tonight.

"Hey," I turned my head to the breathless voice. Parker was standing in front of Cassie, his cheeks flushed as he stared down at her. "Sorry I'm late," he ran a hand through his hair, "Jen forgot her pom-poms at home. I had to drive back to get them for her."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes all the way back into my head as he sat down beside Cassie, who whispered something in his ear that I couldn't hear. He chuckled as he placed his hand on her knee.

"Hey, Becca." Parker leaned forward on the bleacher, gazing around Cassie to me.

"Hey, Park." I smiled at him kindly and returned my attention back to Brett as I shifted further down the bleacher away from Cassie, giving her and Parker some space as I sat there and felt like a third-wheel.

Well, at least I knew now what Cassie felt like every time she was around Brett and I.

The game begun and I lost myself in the thrill of the crowd. Everyone was chanting, screaming, cheering and going absolutely wild every time the Bears scored a touchdown. Even I was standing on the bleacher with Cassie, screaming Brett's name as we cheered him on.

I knew for certain he would make a comment about my screaming later and the thought made me smile.

When the game was over and the Bears had won, to no one's surprise, I ventured off to wait outside the locker room for Brett. Partially to give Cassie and Parker some privacy, but mostly because I just wanted to see him.

The door opened and the team walked out at once, Brett in the lead as all the students lingering nearby congratulated them. I watched him with a smile on my face. He looked happy, his grin never faltered as he walked with his teammates and thanked everyone around him. Even from here, I could feel the kindness radiating off of him in waves.

Brett's eyes locked on mine and he winked before he slapped his teammates shoulder and began walking over to me. I met him halfway, wrapped my arms around his waist as soon as he was close enough to me.

"Congratulations," I said, breathing in the freshly showered scent of him. His hair was still wet, a droplet of water falling and splashing on my nose.

"Thank you, baby." Brett placed both his palms on either side of my face, kissing me slowly as everything around us began to fade away. The scruff on his jaw tickled my cheeks. I reached up to run my fingers along it as he slid his arms around my waist, pulling me to him.