TA 15

Chapter 10

A week went by. Mandy did not say anything. I did not either. She visited Riley, I did not. The doctor described him as a miracle. His brain which they had thought would be severely damaged, was miraculously fine, well...except for his memory loss. The doctor predicted it would come back to him in less than six months. That was no consolation at all. A part of me had already accepted that I had lost him. It was painful, but it was something I would have to live with, along with those feelings that did not want to disappear.

Mandy had gone on her date with Matt. According to her, it had gone "just fine". I was sure however that Matt had made a big deal out of it, which he rarely did. If you asked me, Matt was falling for Mandy. Well, I had proof. Remember when I said Matt paid attention to me? Apparently, he valued my advice, or he tried to pretend he did not. We talked and from our conversations, I could tell he was smitten. Too bad she had her eyes on someone else.

"A penny for your thoughts?" someone said behind me, disrupting my thoughts.

I was at the ice rink with Calvin. After he had apologized, a couple of times, we had decided to go there. It was a Saturday and we had nothing to do.

I turned and saw the source of the voice, wearing a smug smile. I rolled my eyes and realizing what I had done, chuckled.

"You look good when you do that, unlike when you do all those other things you do when you see me", Matt said.

"Ha-ha. What are you doing here?" I said skating away from him.

He followed suit.

"I am doing what you are doing", he replied. "Have you seen Mandy?" he asked. "I've been trying to call her all day".

"All day, huh Matt? It's only 2h32. She said something about going to the hospital", I said.

"She goes to the hospital a lot, don't you think?" Matt's question caught me off guard.

"She's trying to help Riley regain his memory", I said.

"Is that not your job? I mean, you know him better than she does", he asked.

"Who says I don't visit him?" I counter-attacked.

He eyed me. "You do?"

I tried spinning to avoid his gaze which I found uncomfortable. It was a mistake. My shoes got caught up against each other and I almost fell, had it not been for the hand Matt produced to steady me. We stared into each other's eyes for a moment. Mine were challenging, but his said something else.

"You have the most beautiful blue eyes. Huge, but beautiful", he broke the silence.

I removed his hand. "Really Matt?!"

"What?" he asked, looking all stupefied.

"You'll never change!" I spat.

"I paid you a compliment, nothing wrong with that. It does show you are not used to getting them", he said.

Did I overreact? It looked to me as if he was trying to flirt with me.

"Well well, what do we have here?" I heard a voice behind me.

Matt seemed to already know who it was because his expression changed. I turned and looked into Abby's eyes.

"Mandy not enough, Matt?" she asked.

"What are you talking about?" Matt asked.

"I don't want to be a part of this. I'm leaving", I said and left Matt and Abby staring at each other.